BSL laid her first egg.....then 5 more on 5 straight days

fsuklee

Hatching
Mar 7, 2016
So my BSL laid her first egg Sunday. It was small but I was pumped. To my surprise she has laid six eggs on six days. Is that normal. I assumed five eggs ina seven day stretch. Her only partner is a Barred Rock that is not layinf yet to my knowledge.

I am off tomorrow so I hope to observe all morning but seven in a row might be a little greedy.

Hi there,

Yes I would say that is very normal, if your chicken is older then 18 weeks. My chicken laided her first egg and I was so exited, then the next day another egg and they just keep coming.

My bsl started laying 12 days ago at 21 weeks and has laid every day since she began. I was very surprised, but then, thats what they were bred to do.

Also, eggs are still very small (haven't increased in size since day 1) so maybe that makes daily laying easier?

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. GATOR75 I am noticing the same thing that the eggs are not really getting any bigger so far. My BSL was at 18 weeks.

Sexlinks are production birds, crossed to be prolific layers, so it's not surprising.
Can take weeks to months for eggs to get larger.

Back
Top Bottom