bubbles from eyes and mouth, nose bleeding

kagedgoddess

Songster
10 Years
May 11, 2009
virginia
thse are the main symptoms. the pullet is 11wks old, not laying golden comet. i have 4 of them, 1 rir roo, 1 blue wyandotte, 1 ee all the same age. i have had them since chicks i got at tsc.i am in va and *read* somewhere to be sold in va a chick must be vaccinated for mereks. they eat grower from my local co-op. NO ONE ELSE IS SICK. i went out to check their food and water cuz its a hot humid day and while i was out there i notcied this. both nostrils are bloody. i checked the poo (cant tell which is from who),but it all looked normal. her eye is NOT swollen Droopy or anything, she keeps shutting them and opening her mouth and just stadning there. Both eyes are bubbly, one more than the other, i tried giving her some feed from my hand, everyone came up and ate a bit, she half heartedly took a nibble then just stood there. she is rubbing the worse eye on her back. shes also lifting up some of her above the tail feathers to "itch" her eye.

i havent done anything yet. any ideas help or links. i did search, but they came back as droopy eyes or swollen eyes, which my pullet does not have.

Do some info searches on Croyza. She may not have puffy eyes but from what I have seen and read they may not get that at first. If that is what it is they will have a nasty smell around the face. You will need to start treating immediatly with an antibiotic. In your searching look for which type works best........ Hope you find out soon. Good luck

PS. If it is Croyza treat the whole flock, they have all been exposed.
If there is bubbling from the eyes Croyza is the only thing I have ever found that may cause that......but there could be other reasons I just don't know about.

Last edited:
You might take a close look in her mouth, around her beak and eyes to see if there might be a foxtail or some type of burrowing weed that has gotten into her skin or in her throat. Since the eyes/nose and throat are all connected, something could be irritating the entire area. Good luck. I hate to think of the poor chicky in pain.

i did look pretty close, but i did not look In.. i ll go do that in a sec. i can say she is not smelly at all, and nocoughing or sneezing or nose running, just bloody. i should be able to separate her in a little while, But i am afraid everyone is already exposed. dd fed the chickens blackberries yesterday and came and told me one had a bloody nose, i said, no its the berry juice.
he.gif
i shoulda checked. k i'll go check for something stuck. i feel bad too cuz she is one of the *triplets* and i m not sure which one. i do know she is being very docile for any of them tho. brb
oh and they do NOt free range.

You said there is blood from the nose? Are you sure? Rubbing the eye maybe rubbing the nose on the neck feathers to try and wipe the drainage off. Look closely do you see blood any where else? On the side of the brooder? Listen closely for rattling breathing, coughing, sneezing.

Just because the others are not sick means nothing, it just means they aren't sick yet.

Follow very strict quarantine protocols and if the peep dies I highly recommend a necropsy.

Hopefully I'm wrong but the blood is very concerning.

ok nothing was in her throught, i felt her crop, no swelling or squishyness. her eyes werent bubbling when i was just out there, and niether was her mought, her nose IS running though. at least it is now, there is no more blood, but i am 100% sure that is what i saw, i didnt want to panic unnesecarily. i figure she is trying to wipe off the goo when shes rubbing her feathers too. i WILL quarentine her, But the hutch i would have used isnt available right now cuz of the storms we ve been having it'll get picked up and carted off if i put the roof back on, and the dog crate that was my back up is housing the puppy, So i have to wait for dh to get home so we can set up the brooder again... i dont know where he put it....
there is no rattling or sneezing or coughing, but now that i saw the runny nose, (clear) i will go back and look at the crd stuff.

I wouldn't bother quarantining the bird. All the others have been exposed if it is something communicable. By separating her from the rest it increases her stress level, reducing chances of recovery. If you're concerned because she's weaker than the other than put her in a cage in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom