Bubbles in eye?!!

Hens rule

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2015
US
I picked up my hen Hamburger an Easter egger and held her with her head slanted a little (because of how I held her) and I saw she has bubbles in her eye. I couldn't look in the other because she was so percistant on going back to the dust bath. I've only noticed her with the bubbles in her eye. I've also heard ocasional sneezing from some of my hens and a few at night have drippy noses- they've had that for a while. Here's a pic of her eye...

Otherwise she and all my hens seem healthy and active.

Please help!
The bubbles in her eye went away but her eye is a little watery and the pink part SEEMS irritated...? She is a Easter egger and her beard is wet, her face is also kind of stinky, she is separated from the rest at the moment

Last edited:
I would apply some Vetericyn eye wash or eye gel, or Terramycin ointment to her eye twice daily. I would also get some Tylan 50 injectable and give her 1 ml orally twice a day for 3-5 days. You can also give it as a shot in the breast if you prefer. A bad smell sometimes can be coryza, but both coryza and MG can cause swelling in the eye. MG is known for causing bubbles in the eyes. Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases, especially MG, coryza, infectious bronchitis, and ILT: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
She's okay. Her eye has no bubbles but it seems alittle scwinted and it's kind of dark around it. I'm not sure if that's normal because she's an Americana but I'll check again. She is active and is eating and drinking- no wheezing at all.

So when reading this I am under the impression that these diseases are never fully gone. So if I have a chickens that has it and gives it to my flock my entire flock is infected? So even if I treat it if I get new chickens they would get it too because the infected chicken are always carries? I'm not sure how to proceed here. How do you ensure that when you bring new chickens in they do get it. Do you have to clean the coop? Can ducks get this? Thanks

I think so, if they have IB, I'm sad about this becuase I can't get any chicks this spring and well beucase my birds are sick. :(

So when reading this I am under the impression that these diseases are never fully gone. So if I have a chickens that has it and gives it to my flock my entire flock is infected? So even if I treat it if I get new chickens they would get it too because the infected chicken are always carries? I'm not sure how to proceed here. How do you ensure that when you bring new chickens in they do get it. Do you have to clean the coop? Can ducks get this? Thanks
That is the importance of getting any sick bird tested. Some diseases make carriers for up to a year (IB) while others make carriers for life (MG, ILT. coryza.) There are vaccines available, but you need to weigh the fact that vaccines may need to be given more than once, and do you want to raise birds who are carriers.
I think so, if they have IB, I'm sad about this becuase I can't get any chicks this spring and well beucase my birds are sick.
sad.png
Infectious bronchitis only causes birds to be carriers for 5 months to 1 year. That would be worth getting them tested to find out what disease they have.

Back
Top Bottom