Bubbly Mucus in Frizzle Cochin's eyes

jynnjynn

Songster
9 Years
Sep 5, 2010
I have a frizzle cochin bantam that I purchased recently, we have had her about 2 weeks in a quarantine coop with one other bird I purchased at the same time from the same person (a Japanese frizzle).
Neither of them have shown any troubling symptoms until this morning (I saw the cochin sneeze once last week, but it was right after drinking so I assumed she just got water in her nose). This morning when I went out to tend to them the Cochin had little blobs of bubbly mucus sitting in both of her eyes. She seems other wise fine, they don't look swollen, she is still active and plucky. Any idea what this is? can I treat it?

cochineye.jpg

cochineye2.jpg

Last edited:
No, they came from a farm about an hour from my home in Louisville KY.
All the other birds I saw there appeared healthy and well kept.

As far as I can tell they are breathing fine, no open beaks or panting anything...
I am new to chicken ownership so I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for there tho.

Last edited:
I will definitely get her to a vet ASAP to find out for sure, but if it were that, is this something that I will be able to treat and then eventually integrate her into the rest of my flock?

Last edited:
I just brought 2 birds into WSU a few weeks ago for the same thing. Thinking it was real bad. I had them put down and blood tested and necrospy(sp)done and I quarentined 6 more with bubbled eyes and sneezing. I got the lab reports back and was told that i needed to treat for a comon cold. I used tylan 50 injectable 4 days and all is well and I also wormed because they had signs of round worm. I put 2 down because everyone said that it was bad and my whole flock would be carriers. They were wrong. I am so glad but before you do put them down you might want to have them checked out or give tylan. good luck. I hope its just a cold like mine.
Quote:

Update : I took her to the vet today, and was told she has conjunctivitis. She gave me some gentacin eye drops and some antibiotics (trib something) and told me she should be fine.
Anyone know how long after her symptoms disappear I should wait before I take her out of quarantine?

Not sure, to me conjunctivitis in chickens is as much a symptom as it is an illness in and of it's self. I'd be on the watch for any underlying problems as conjunctivitis can be a symptom of MG, Newcastle, avain influenza, ILT, coryza.

I would error on the side of maintaining quantine a little longer just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom