1 swollen eye, now with bubbles

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
me again!

I have a 12 week old pullet that presented with 1 swollen eye a few days ago. No bubbles. I had this exact same thing happen when one older chickens was bit by a tick, and since the ticks are bad right now, I assumed that’s what it was even though I never saw one on her. (I pulled 3 nymphs off another chick this week.)

I treated with terrymicin that I had from a vet visit for said older chicken. Treated for 2 days and her eye was totally normal for 2 days following.

This morning I went out and the same eye is swollen with a few bubbles in the inside corner. I flushed it with vetricyn eye wash and put terramycin ointment in it.

No one else has symptoms.

I hope since it’s only 1 eye it’s not respiratory? I didn’t have the chance to take a photo- running out the door for work and typing this during my commute.

Any ideas?

Use the ointment twice a day after cleaning any goop or crusty drainage. If she seems lethargic, sneezing, or gets worse, Tylosin powder antibiotics for the water are available from Jedds.com online. Those treat MG, a respiratory disease.

Use the ointment twice a day after cleaning any goop or crusty drainage. If she seems lethargic, sneezing, or gets worse, Tylosin powder antibiotics for the water are available from Jedds.com online. Those treat MG, a respiratory disease.
Thank you, as always!
I’ll keep and eye on her and probably order that just in case. Probably good to have on hand in my first aid kit.

Oh, I sure hope not! :( Wouldnt both of her eyes be affected if it were MG?
Unfortunately no, and I'm sorry because I know it can be incredibly disheartening and sad.

My apologies for suggesting it so plainly. But it is something you should be preparing for. And there obviously is a chance you don't have it - but if you do.

My mother (grandmother) has had an infected flock for 10 years. She handles it responsibly, but would be deemed by some to be unethical. There is a lot of junk out there on the web, but here are the basics.

- it's a lifelong ailment. Chickens will never be "cured"
- if one chicken is presenting symptoms, they all have it. Very, very contagious.
- some chickens will never show symptoms. Those that do will show symptoms at onset, or at times of elevated stress.
- you must keep a closed flock. My mother hatches within her flock (the perceived unethical part), never bringing home a feed store bird or ordering online. She has a lot of 4 and 5 year old hens, that have lived otherwise excellent lives and appear entirely normal. She is giving chickens a good life who would not have existed. Took me awhile, but I see her logic.
- she ONLY treats symptomatic birds, never the whole flock. If a chicken is going to have a reoccurring need for antibiotics, administering the absolute bare minimum is crucial. My mom says a lot of the time symptoms subside on their own, only when she begins to notice heavy respiratory symptoms does she give antibiotics. She says 100% of young cockerels will be symptomatic at around 4 to 6 months.

Anyway, that's what I've learned after spending time with her. I NEVER go near her flock, and she doesn't come to ours either and we hVe a few other protocols as well that work perfectly.

Again, maybe nothing - but not something you want to write off.

Unfortunately no, and I'm sorry because I know it can be incredibly disheartening and sad.

My apologies for suggesting it so plainly. But it is something you should be preparing for. And there obviously is a chance you don't have it - but if you do.

My mother (grandmother) has had an infected flock for 10 years. She handles it responsibly, but would be deemed by some to be unethical. There is a lot of junk out there on the web, but here are the basics.

- it's a lifelong ailment. Chickens will never be "cured"
- if one chicken is presenting symptoms, they all have it. Very, very contagious.
- some chickens will never show symptoms. Those that do will show symptoms at onset, or at times of elevated stress.
- you must keep a closed flock. My mother hatches within her flock (the perceived unethical part), never bringing home a feed store bird or ordering online. She has a lot of 4 and 5 year old hens, that have lived otherwise excellent lives and appear entirely normal. She is giving chickens a good life who would not have existed. Took me awhile, but I see her logic.
- she ONLY treats symptomatic birds, never the whole flock. If a chicken is going to have a reoccurring need for antibiotics, administering the absolute bare minimum is crucial. My mom says a lot of the time symptoms subside on their own, only when she begins to notice heavy respiratory symptoms does she give antibiotics. She says 100% of young cockerels will be symptomatic at around 4 to 6 months.

Anyway, that's what I've learned after spending time with her. I NEVER go near her flock, and she doesn't come to ours either and we hVe a few other protocols as well that work perfectly.

Again, maybe nothing - but not something you want to write off.
Thank you- I appreciate your insight.

I made an appt with the vet to have her tested for MG. Appt is scheduled for Monday.

I noticed a few weeks ago that a few of my chickens were doing this thing where it wasnt a full blown sneeze (where they shake their head and make a loud noise) but it was like they were just puffing out one hard breathe from their nose, if that makes sense. A couple times, a little bit of clear liquid came out. It wasn't happening a ton- but often enough that I did take note. Their run is completely covered so it's pretty dusty in there. 3 of the sides are open, and I have 2 fans to help circulate air. I just assumed it was due to dust, but maybe its actually a sneeze/symptom this whole time.... :barnie

Thank you, as always!
I’ll keep and eye on her and probably order that just in case. Probably good to have on hand in my first aid kit.
Good morning! @Eggcessive and @BastyPutt
No bubbles in the eye this morning but still a little swollen. Will continue to treat. I’ve been read up on MG.

This isn’t the girl with a swollen eye but I noticed her voice sounded different. I thought it might be rales but it’s crackly only when she speaks, not during a quiet breathe. Shes 12.5 weeks old so part of me wonders if it’s puberty. Thoughts?

Just trying to cover all my basis to keep everyone healthy! Greatly appreciate your insight! ❤️

Last edited:
That is not rales or crackles. I would call and ask specifically if your vet can test for MG. Who would they send the test off to? If the chicken does not currently have symptoms—mucus from nostrils or bubbles in the eyes, the test may be not accurate. They stick the swab in the back of the throat to collect cells. You may be better off getting a chicken tested by an NPIP tester or your state vet. Zoologix in CA will send testing supplies, but is a little pricey. You will spend a lot of money at your vets, if they can do the testing. That would be up to you though.

Back
Top Bottom