Buckbeak RIP and predator

cherrybombuk

Songster
Oct 10, 2020
There is a big debate on some blogs about whether or not opossums eat chickens. Sadly, I can tell you for certain that they do.

Sadly, last week an opossum killed Buckbeak just after he turned one year old. He was a rooster I tried to find a home for yet never rehomed. It is tragic how little roosters lives are valued. No one wanted to lovingly care for a crossbeak rooster. Due to the pandemic, I didn't go back to the UK on time.

I tried torpedo feeding him yet he hated it. Then I tube fed him twice a day for a while (after having a vet show me how to do so properly). That didn't work out well. He didn't like it, and sometimes his comb would turn blue from oxygen distress. So, instead, I gave him and Peach Fuzz (slight crossbeak companion) a mixture of feed with eggs and unsweetened apple sauce mixed in to make feed gruels of varying liquidity a couple of times a day. I would sometimes put grubs in the mash mixture or give them chopped or shredded greens or other treats (sometimes blueberries).

Remarkably, Buckbeak thrived, he continued to get bigger and bigger and was a beautiful young rooster.

Then, one night about a week ago he must not have gotten into the Eglu coop before the auto door closed. I was engaged in an errand and did not see that he was out. When I got back, I shut up the chicken chalet (put back on the panels) and didn't hear or see that Buckbeak wasn't up safe in his coop. That night, as I sometimes had recently, I slept with headphones on (which I now feel guilty about).

The next morning, a disaster of the heart. Feathers everywhere and a hole dug under the flange wire and into the run extension where Buckbeack lived with his friend hen and mate Peach Fuzz. All of the chickens, everything is close by, were traumatised. I can only imagine that Buckbeak screamed for help and got none.

The next two nights, I was out flashlight in hand, at every sound and caught the HUGE opossum coming back (hoping for seconds). Sometime before midnight, I ran out and saw the glowing eyes. I grabbed a large two-foot stick at hand and ran forward.

I chased him through the dew-damp green grass, the flashlight making a moving beam of light in the black of night, into a huge old hollow tree. Then there he sat, staring out at me, as big and ugly as a criminal. Yet didn't have the heart to kill him (he was only feeding himself and his family). He was a mean-looking big fella, man, those opossum sharp teeth and squinty eyes are something to behold staring out at you from the darkness of an old hollow tree lit by flashlight.

As a predator defence, I spread a 5" band of hot ground chilli peppers with seeds and powder around the entire coops and runs (that's a lot of heat) plus added a string of fairy lights plus made certain that the chickens MP3 player was always charged to play their classical music at night.

Plus, I made certain that the motion detector lights were turned to face the sun for solar charging all day. I also tried an AMAZING predator (fox) light from Azon, though my dear SIL took it down (he's a night owl and the weird flashing was too much for him, it flashed red, white, and blue lights at odd, unpredictable moments).

The opossum only came back two nights before it got the message. Stay away from our bantam chickens.

I've ordered more solar motion-activated lights and chilli powder because several days later, the night after a lot of rain which washed away the hot chilli powder defence, the opossum came back and tried to get in at the chickens. He dug deep holes in 3 places around the coops and walk-in and other runs.

Anyway, that is the end of Buckbeak's story. I have learned a lot about chickens in the last year, some of it wonderful, surprising, lol funny (they are such quirky, lovable little creatures), and some of it tragic. Roosters lives are not valued by many. No one wanted Buckbeak, and he came to a sad end.

In good news, Peach Fuzz is finally getting a rest. Her poor little vent was a bit bedraggled from frequent loving from Buckbeak and her near-daily egg-laying (one hen is not enough of a harem for a randy funloving lad of a rooster).

Peach Fuzz is a sweet little peach feathered Bantam Easter Egger hen and for now, living solo in a connected run and different Eglu coop. I have tried introducing her to the other hens, but there has been too much pecking as they seem to have forgotten her face. Going to take our time introducing her back into the flock. For now, the chickens are all right next to each other.

At $100, the "Foxlights Night Predator Deterrent- Predator Control LED Light. Protect Flocks & Crops! 1 Unit Flashes 360 Degrees. Scares Away & Alarms Wildlife. Professional Farmers & Ranchers use This!" is highly recommended if you can get it. I would feel a lot more confident about the chickens' safety if we were able to continue using this. The thing kept everything away in the dark of night. Good luck facing your predators.

Attachments

• IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    855 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    851.1 KB · Views: 27
Yet didn't have the heart to kill him (he was only feeding himself and his family).
:hugsI'm totally with you here.
Predator proofing is what I recommend before killing predators. You kill, one, and another one will arrive to take its place. When would the killing stop???.
Since you have digging predator issues. can I suggest you bury a 2 foot wide wire mesh, or hardware cloth apron around the outside perimeter of your coop/run.
It does not need to be deep. Even tacked/secured on the surface, and allowed to be overgrown with grass will work. Diggers are not that smart to retreat 2 feet back and start digging there.
If you have questions about the apron,,,, just ask, and I can clarify further.

On the subject of integration, I suggest you try to do it when whole flock is free-ranging in large area. You may have to be present when you are allowing them to mingle. I found that way to be easiest method.
Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels. I keep chickens as pets.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs:highfive:

Predator proofing is what I recommend before killing predators. You kill, one, and another one will arrive to take its place. When would the killing stop???.
Since you have digging predator issues. can I suggest you bury a 2 foot wide wire mesh, or hardware cloth apron around the outside perimeter of your coop/run.
It does not need to be deep. Even tacked/secured on the surface, and allowed to be overgrown with grass will work. Diggers are not that smart to retreat 2 feet back and start digging there.

On the subject of integration, I suggest you try to do it when whole flock is free-ranging in large area. You may have to be present when you are allowing them to mingle. I found that way to be easiest method.
Ty for your loving remarks, support and excellent input. We have an apron that is about 9-12 inches around the entire Eglu and its 9 foot run for a Peach Fuzz. It was historically moveable, but maybe I can add ground cloth and a plant/grass border to deter predators. The large walk-in run for the chalet coop also has a similar flange. More importantly the walk-in run has a lovely Spanish needle and clover border, growing on kind of mounded dirt, which is an excellent natural barrier and I pinch off greens for the chooks. Around the Egg Cart’n chalet and the door to the walk-in run were where Mr O was last digging. Could put some hardware cloth under the dirt in front of the walk-in run door. The dirt here is sandy, easily diggable for the Hannibal Lector of Opossums. I will plant things around the other run if possible. It and the chicken chalet are moveable for cleaning, yet I've found that pine needles for bedding and grass/sod (meant for dogs to potty on) from Azon are lovely in the runs. The grass doesn't get eaten up, and the chickens play and scratch in the pine needles, which break down into sweet dirt (sort of like the deep litter method, but the combination of chicken doodle and pine straw makes dirt and doesn't need mucking out). So, maybe I won't need to move the chalet, and other run so often. Even if I keep the Egg Cartn chalet free to be movable, I could bury hardware cloth and add plants to three sides. Again, your input is so valuable. Thank you, thank you, from the ❤️ 💘 💕 🐥 🐓 #chickenlove

Ps. I forgot to mention that the chooks do not free-range as they live by a prairie full of predators. If the one roo finds a home, maybe the flock will more easily accept Peach Fuzz. Ty again. Will do more predator proofing based on your ideas. ❤️💕💘🐓🐥🐔💗

I can feel for your loss. I had a cross beak RIR, Gladys. She was 3 years old when a fox got her during the middle of the day. I feed all of the birds pellets but Gladys couldn't eat pellets so she got crumbles which she was able to manage. I was distracted when the fox took Gladys and I'm still angry with myself that I should have put her in her pen while I was distracted.
IMG_20170104_172023.jpg

Gladys was truly beautiful. That is so sad about the fox. I feel guilty, am forgiving myself for not checking the pen after dark and for sleeping with the noise canceling headphones on. Hopefully our little scissors beak chickens went as fast as possible. Thank you for your sharing about your crossbeak. 🐓❤️💗🐔💕🐥

Yep possums will kill and eat chooks. So far this year I've trapped and killed 5. I've also gotten 3 coons and one skunk. My coop and run are both predator proofed but I still have traps around it to catch and remove anything that thinks it wants to test it.

The possums and skunk went into crawfish traps. The coons go on my smoker and in my belly.

Oh, wow. You are waging and winning the predator war over there. Good on you for eating your kills. Did you ever read “Where the Red Fern Grows?” Great little book about a little boy who works hard to save for his first coon hound pup and all about his adventures in life and hunting coons. Great little story (even for grownups). Thank you for sharing your exciting experiences in the predator wars.

Oh, wow. You are waging and winning the predator war over there. Good on you for eating your kills. Did you ever read “Where the Red Fern Grows?” Great little book about a little boy who works hard to save for his first coon hound pup and all about his adventures in life and hunting coons. Great little story (even for grownups). Thank you for sharing your exciting experiences in the predator wars.

Good book, even the movie was pretty good.

I been hunting and trapping since I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom