bucket feeder

sotelomary

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
SF east bay, California
I made a feeder out of a 5 gallon bucket with the planter tray on the bottom. I made 8 holes around the bottom that are about 2 inches. I also used a funnel inside.

The feed pellets are getting stuck inside. Every couple days, I have to go shake the bucket so that they can come out.

What am I doing wrong? Are the holes too small?

I need a feeder that will hold enough feed for 5 chickens for a week. This will allow me to go on vacation.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mary

Don't make holes. Make rectangular slits about 3 inches long and about 3/4 inch wide. If you worry that while you are gone the chickens won't be able to get the feed out then take the lid off. The chickens can get in the bucket and it's not gonna hurt a thing. If you hang the feeder then make a notch bend in the handle that way it stays centered if they jump up on it or in it. My birds don't poop in there but they sure have fun swingin around. Hanging the feeder where the feed is level with the chickens back will make it to where you don't get feed all over the ground. Good Luck.

We did the exact same feeder...5 gallon with plant tray below and we hang it by its handle from the ceiling and have no problem with our layers pellets. Is your sitting on the ground? or hanging? Hanging seems to give it a bit more movement and flexibility.

I also made a bucket feeder with 2 inch hole at bottom. Same problem. Pellets do not flow well. I have not tried bigger holes yet , as I would have to find a taller planter base for the bottom. 2 inch, maybe 2 1/8 is all the taller without being over top of planter base.

Glad you asked the question.

I just shake mine every couple of days -- partly coz it helps move the food down, partly I'm just checking to see how full it is. I get eggs and lock the coop every night anyway, so I don't think of it as a problem to check the feeder too
idunno.gif

earthfriendlyfarm

I have the bucket on some stacked bricks to give it some height. I think it would be too heavy to hang. I'm not sure if my support is strong enough. I'll have to ask hubby.

tala - I do shake it every few days but I am going on vacation and need for the feed to come out by itself as I will be gone for a week.

Thanks
Mary

Have a wonderful vacation! On the holes Nessa described, did you make the 3inch long side of them horizontal to the ground? Also, my guess is that as they clear food away from the hole, more will come out, but the tray may not be as full as you expected, even if they can get to it. Another idea for your vacation might be to put some extra dishes of food out just to be sure. There is also the 3" PVC pipe feeder that might be helpful for you. Good luck and have a great time away!

Thank you cheerfulheart2 for your kind words!
smile.png
I haven't made the rectangular holes yet. I will do them tomorrow when I clean the coop. I did think about putting extra dishes out. Great minds think alike!
big_smile.png

I've been thinking about the pvc feeder but I wasn't sure how much feed it would hold. I thought about making it maybe 4' tall. Do you or anyone have any idea how much feed it would hold? Remember, I have 5 birds and want it to last a week.

It is very hard finding someone who is willing to get their shoes full of poop to go shake my bucket! I have no problem getting a neighbor to collect the eggs though.
smile.png
Those egg doors sure are handy!

Mary

Back
Top Bottom