bucket potato's

How many slips did you plant?
Slips? ya got me on that one. I took a potato from the bag that my wife had been using that had sprouted and put it in the pail and covered it with compost, when the leaves started growing and came up through the dirt, I covered them with dirt, and continued doing this until the bucket was filled, then left it alone until yesterday. It was just an experiment. I had read somewhere about container gardening and wanted to see if it would work,

Slips are sections with eyes on them. Some people put them whole into the dirt, some people chop the potato into sections with eyes and spread them out. The first time I grew potatoes I got "slips" from Agway. It was a paper bag full of dried out potato pcs with eyes on them.

I love new potatoes. I have 20 buckets out there now waiting to be pulled as well as whatever my potato condo produced this year. Potatoes are the easiest thing to grow.

That's a nice little haul from one potato. Congratulations!

Except for my squash, my entire garden is in containers. It does work. Most of my containers are waist high as I cannot bend or kneel anymore. I grow enough to keep hubby and I in veggies for summer and fall, as well as lots for freezing and canning.

Well, I looked it up and that is indeed what slips are. I'm sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. That's just what I'd heard them called.

In any case, six potatoes from one is pretty good.

Well, I looked it up and that is indeed what slips are. I'm sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. That's just what I'd heard them called.

In any case, six potatoes from one is pretty good.
Ain't no thang! I had just never heard the term "Slips" used in reference to Irish potato before. Don't know if they have a term for the pieces, that you cut the potato into? Don't know why someone felt the need to coin a term for the sprout off of a Sweet? Probably just wanted to confuse things.
sad.png

Sweet potatoes are one of our favorite summer crops, easy to grow, the tops are great in stir fries & the vines sure are pretty cascading down the hill I plant them on. Just about harvest time, gonna miss having the greens available but there's the potatoes themselves.

Glad you have found methods to continue your gardening.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom