Bucket water feeders and Feeders

I have the same blue bucket. When my birds are locked in the run with the bucket as their only water, they use it just fine. When it let them out, they all run to ducks' pond like they're dying of thirst. Silly birds. My ducks drink out of it, too (maybe more than my chickens, ha ha). I LOVE how it keeps the water from turning putrid.

I have found in my experience that horizontal nipples are quite an improvement over vertical ones in my flock. Set at about eye level they are easy for the birds to drink from, there is a small cup on the bottom that catches most spills, in cold weather they don't seem to freeze up as soon as vertical ones. A bucket heater works with horizontal nipples better than vertical ones as well. They do cost more, but for me are worth the money, and I suppose is why we are seeing a liquidation of existing vertical nipples supplies. There are a few threads here on BYC regarding them… people have kept chickens for quite a long time, and something 'new' just does not come along all that often, but vertical nipples was a BIG improvement in bird care. Horizontal nipples are an improvement over vertical ones. Also they don't tend to leak when bumped, they have a small spring that holds them closed. They keep waddles dryer in winter if that is a concern for you. I have a couple of pictures of my little Banty chicks using them for the first time.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

I have found in my experience that horizontal nipples are quite an improvement over vertical ones in my flock. Set at about eye level they are easy for the birds to drink from, there is a small cup on the bottom that catches most spills, in cold weather they don't seem to freeze up as soon as vertical ones. A bucket heater works with horizontal nipples better than vertical ones as well. They do cost more, but for me are worth the money, and I suppose is why we are seeing a liquidation of existing vertical nipples supplies. There are a few threads here on BYC regarding them… people have kept chickens for quite a long time, and something 'new' just does not come along all that often, but vertical nipples was a BIG improvement in bird care. Horizontal nipples are an improvement over vertical ones. Also they don't tend to leak when bumped, they have a small spring that holds them closed. They keep waddles dryer in winter if that is a concern for you. I have a couple of pictures of my little Banty chicks using them for the first time.

RJ

were did you get these nipples i haven't seen any on-line or in the stores? do they screw in? I just got some vertical nipples and i always thought that horizontal nipples would make more scents.

I got them on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXUAD0K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the US retailer is on this site, I have heard that Ebay has them as well. Our local farm store is stocking them as well now. They are about $3.48 each in the store plus tax and $2.80 each (you have to buy five) with shipping from Amazon. I find them truly a step forward in bird keeping. Yes they screw in like the vertical ones, however they are a tapered thread and sort of self tapping. I think they are 1/4 NPT for a brass fitting. I use a 3/8 drill but the called for size is 11/32. With the taper me thinks anything close is good enough. Birds like not having to cram their necks to drink. The drip/drop holder or catcher is just brilliant. Highly recommended. Remember to vent the bucket/container.

If you are going to use a bucket, this is the heater I am going to use.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FK03E8...TF8&colid=3ETRWQ0PUDXWE&coliid=I1UG0AGSD83OFQ

RJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom