Bucket waterer..."Chicken Kooler"...opinions?

nikki1

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Eatonville, WA
Hi, All!

I'm new to chickens, but I have 5 sweeties in the brooder. I saw in a chicken magazine a product called The Chicken Kooler. It's basically a bucket with chicken nipples (I can't get over that term!) on the bottom, which you hang in your run. Chickies go underneath to drink.

Sounds like a simple, genius idea, but is it a quality product? If it is, I'll ask for one for my birthday. (I've never been a candles and roses kind of girl) If it's not, is there another simple to use/install/clean alternative.

I'd love to hear from people who have tried it!

--Nikki
(and my babies, Amelia, Dot, Nellie, Penny, and Betsy)

Last edited:
I've used chicken nipples with my chickens since they were chicks. Some people like them, some don't. I've had no issues with them and the water always stay clean. They can freeze and will still work after they are thawed. I just purchased the nipples and made my own.

You could take a plastic bucket and install the watering nipples and achieve the same end. My chickens, even the three week-old ones, use the nipples for drinking. The little ones aren't in the coop, yet. They have their own coke bottle with one nipple in it.

As far as making one yourself, Google YouTube for some good demonstration video on making one.

Chris

Nikki, head over to your local feed store and buy 3 nipples. They are like $1 each. They also probably already have plastic buckets to purchase like $5-7. For $10 you have an amazing water-er that should go for 10-15 days without needing to refill. It's a great way to help your mother cluckers stay healthy.

Hi! I have tried a few other chicken watering systems and love the bucket with nipples method. First because the water stays clean, which it doesn't with any other method I tried. And second, I can keep in cool. Here is SC, that is a great thing in the summer. I have 2 of these buckets for my 10 chickens. So I just got 4 of the 2 liter soda bottles from my mother-in-law and froze them. Then I stick two of them in the water buckets when I go down to feed and replace them with frozen ones the next day. I was really surprised at how cool the water stays even on the hottest days! Good luck!

Thanks for the input! I've only had my chickies for a week, and I'm already tired of shavings and poop in their little quart waterer.

The ice idea is a great one, but we here in western Washington tend to err on the side of chilly rather than warm. With the chicken nipple/bucket systems, how do you cope with freezing? Do you fill the bucket with warm water morning and evening, or is there another solution?

thanks again for your input!
--Nikki

Thanks for the input! I've only had my chickies for a week, and I'm already tired of shavings and poop in their little quart waterer.

The ice idea is a great one, but we here in western Washington tend to err on the side of chilly rather than warm. With the chicken nipple/bucket systems, how do you cope with freezing? Do you fill the bucket with warm water morning and evening, or is there another solution?

--Nikki

I usually bring the bucket inside at night during the winter and put it out in the morning, then thaw it again in the afternoon and refill it.

--Nikki

Aquarium heater... If you had to fill every morning and evening with warm water, that would defeat the whole purpose of making it less work/automation.

Aquarium heater! Brilliant! What I love about BYC is the ingenuity. Before next winter I'm getting me an aquarium heater. Betcha with that amount of time to look I can score one cheap at a garage sale. THANK YOU!

--Nikki

Back
Top Bottom