Bucketless Auto Waterer?

emalin

Songster
7 Years
Jan 12, 2014
Sierra Nevada Foothills, California
Is there an auto watering system that does not utilize a 5-gallon bucket but is still easy to clean and has little wastage (nipples or cups)? I only have 8 chickens, and I imagine it will take them quite a while to get through a bucket full of water. I seems like the water would get hot and possibly get algae in our very hot summers. I have enormously fluffy Orphingtons that need all the help they can get to stay cool. I have a water line right at the coop and am assuming that an auto-waterer would be best, but I'm open to any system that meets our needs. I just want to minimize cleaning and wastage and be able to leave for a few days without having to hire a chicken sitter. ;) Thanks.

I did see somewhere on BYC that someone had made a nipple waterer hooked directly to a hose but they had used a pressure reducer as part of the system ...kind of what you would use for drip irrigation.

Hi! We built a waterer using 2" pipe and nipples. There are clean-out valves on each to make it simple to clean. This one holds about 1/2 a gallon of water and I refill it every 2-3 days. Here's a picture of the finished product, before we hung it in the run :

Never thought of a pressure adapter. Would remove the need for the bucket. Thank you.

Yes, there are folks and threads on here that have done just what you're looking for. If you don't use a pressure reducer (I'm not sure how much, but quite a bit), the nipples will leak. My vague recollection is under 5psi, but don't quote me on that. Also, make sure it doesn't freeze where you live or if it does, you could just drain it for winter and use a regular waterer.

Back
Top Bottom