Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering can i breed a buckeye rooster with the buckeye pullets from the same batch of chicks and they are probably brother and sisters. Thanks coolmitch
cool.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Our breeder is Jen Scott. Jen runs several males with a flock of 10+ hens. The chance of any chick being full blood on any given hatch day is slim. Plus there are so many lines in these moderan Buckeyes, I would not worry about it. Check with who you acquired yours from and see how large a flock they have. You might then want to pick up an unrealated male or you might feel comfortable with what you have.

thanks jimsfarmstand I was planing on getting a new roo but I wanted to now if i could start breeding now. I now Rob Rhodes lives close to me i'm going to contact him about a trade

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Thanks, I thought it was a really good repurpose of something headed for the trash, and it seems to be working out well.

We had one chick that didn't make it overnight, but we're at 29 out of 30 so far. There's another that appears quite small and weak, but all in all, I think we're doing ok given how warm it is.
fl.gif

Started with 6 bantam buckeyes. Lost 2 to coccidiosis pretty fast. Thought we were long out of that, at least a month since any symptom so switched them from medicated baby chow to general feed and within a week one pullet declined and died. another pullet somehow got her whole left side wracked up so can barely use the left leg and we've got her wing bound up in hopes it heals. So we've got two healthy seeming birds left.

It's been a bad summer for us chicken wise.

Quote:
Well, at least your survivers will be stronger. I would remove the healthy birds to a new cage. Then clean and disinfect the old coops/brooders. Bleach solution should disenfect it. I would take the coops, if possible, to a car wash and really clean them. Use a liquid cocastat in their water. I would also stay with the medicated feed until point of lay. Just to be safe.

What should a show quality buckeye rooster look like I'm trying to pick which roo to bring to a show. thanks coolmitch
cool.png

Quote:
I don't have a picture for you but if you go to the begining of this thread you will see some pictures of really nice roosters. Hope this will help.

Quote:
At any given time I have three or more males in my breeding pen, so while theoretically chicks I ship could be siblings, I don't worry about it much.

As well, there are enough folks out there working with the breed who likely have "extra" males you'd be sure to find one for just the cost of shipping. I know I'll ship anyone an "extra" male this time of year for no more than the cost of the box and the postage to get him to you.

I have lots of extra males...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom