Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that a lot of folks will run several roos with their hens. I have heard of very few problems with flocks using this method of breeding. I think the biggest problem would arise to someone trying to improve a flock by breeding out imperfections. If you dont know which roo is the daddy or which hen is the mother, it would be hard to guess which bird is throwing the imperfections you wish to get rid of. I only run one roo with just a few hens in each coop. While i am just getting into raiseing buckeyes, I feel being able to know without a doubt which roo and small group of hens are the parents of the chicks, will enable me to cull much more efficiently. This method also allows me the opportunity to swap roos among the different flocks to see which roo/hen combinations produces the best offspring. It also allows me to basicly keep 4 flocks for the price of two. I also run extra roos with other breeds of birds until the time that they are needed. If needed, I can pretty much guarantee that there are no brother to sister, father to daughter, mother to son breeding taking place in my pens. ( Lots of cousings breeding:D). Notice, I said "if needed", there is a lot to be said for line breeding and it is a common practice to breed father to daughter/grandaughter and mother to sons/grandsons. I am sure someone could also make a good argument for breeding brother to sister, altho I try not to with my birds.

There are more pictures of the baby buckeyes posted on our website now (I'm better at posting there than here so far). The link is: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/08/22/baby-buckeyes-are-here/
Of
the 30 we received (we ordered 25), 29 are still with us and we've only lost one so far. They are a week old today. They sort of remind me of pinballs the way they run around!
wee.gif

Quote:
At any given time I have three or more males in my breeding pen, so while theoretically chicks I ship could be siblings, I don't worry about it much.

As well, there are enough folks out there working with the breed who likely have "extra" males you'd be sure to find one for just the cost of shipping. I know I'll ship anyone an "extra" male this time of year for no more than the cost of the box and the postage to get him to you.

I have lots of extra males...

thanks pathfinders I'll have to talk to you about that. I now my stock is from Jason Page if that helps thanks coolmitch
cool.png

Quote:
At any given time I have three or more males in my breeding pen, so while theoretically chicks I ship could be siblings, I don't worry about it much.

As well, there are enough folks out there working with the breed who likely have "extra" males you'd be sure to find one for just the cost of shipping. I know I'll ship anyone an "extra" male this time of year for no more than the cost of the box and the postage to get him to you.

I have lots of extra males...

thanks pathfinders I'll have to talk to you about that. I now my stock is from Jason Page if that helps thanks coolmitch
cool.png

Well, talk soon, as this Sunday I am culling out a group of 12 or so, sending them to a friend who will raise them just for meat. I should have more, haven't done a census yet, but do email me offline.

Quote:
Hi,

I am the Secretary/Treasurer of the American Buckeye Poultry Club. I hope I can answer these questions to your satisfaction.

The ABPC was started by my daughter and me in the fall of 2007, after having taken our Buckeyes (large fowl) to the Ohio National show. We both showed birds at the show, and did well. My daughter asked me afterwards if there was a breed club for Buckeyes, as we were members of several other breed clubs at the time, and I told her that as far as I knew, there wasn't one. "So why don't we start one?!" she asked. So we did.

The goals of the club, as with any poultry breed club, is to promote the breed as a whole, to encourage breeding of the birds to the APA/ABA Standard of Perfection, and to provide as much information on the breed to those who are interested as we can.

We're a registered non-profit, member of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (who have done so much great work with the breed) and have Jeannette Beranger of the ALBC as one of our Technical Advisors. We are also Associate Members of the American Poultry Association and American Bantam Association. We put out a quarterly newsletter (at which I am admittedly behind this quarter), which I hope to increase to 6 issues per year by next year. We hold breed meets at sanctioned APA/ABA shows, and members earn points for wins at such shows, which will be compiled on an annual basis and awards given to the winners. We write a monthly column in the Poultry Press newspaper. We (I, actually) started this thread here, to help spread information about the breed. We also have a Yahoo Group, started in 2008, devoted to the breed as well.

Basically, the ABPC is the same as most other poultry breed clubs. Does this explain? Please don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions, happy to help as I can.

smile.png

Laura

There is "another" Buckeye club that is free to join and worth every penny of its membership fee. Best not go there. The ABPC has the support of the ALBC, APA/ABA.

President: Chris McCary - Alabama

Vice President: Bob Gilbert – Illinois

Secretary/Treasurer – Membership Services Laura Haggarty – Kentucky

Technical Advisor: Jeanette Beranger from the ALBC – North Carolina

Website – Tech Support Issues: David Puthoff – Ohio

Several of these officers are on this thread. Many on this thread are members of the American Buckeye Poultry Club (ABPC). I just keep forgetting to send a check in for our membership. Laura is also a District Director for the ABA. Folks taht I have known for years think highly of the ABPC.

Laura, will try to get that check in the mail soon!

http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/index.htm

Quote:
My fault. Chris and Laura keep sending me stuff to put on there but I'm lazy as a chicken dropping.

I will revisit the emails and update the site shortly.

Last edited:
Quote:
My fault. Chris and Laura keep sending me stuff to put on there but I'm lazy as a chicken dropping.

I will revisit the emails and update the site shortly.

Now Dave, we know you're about as busy as can be. Tell the good folks how many children you have!
wink.png

We know you're working hard, and greatly appreciate all your volunteer work and the free website hosting! Thanks again for all you do.

Laura

Hi,

I am popping in with a quick question. How much does the average Buckeye roo and hen weigh at around 8-9 months? I am not talking the APA/SOP but everybodys average weight of theirs.

The reason I ask is that the ones I have--a friend commented on how small they are. She said hers (now gone) were almost twice the size.

To be honest I haven't weighed them yet. I think they are gorgeous but now am wondering if they are small. At a guess I would say they weigh about 6 pounds. That is just a guess. I will weigh the biggest ones tomorrow.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom