Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Punkster: you are becoming quite the Buckeye expert. I predict one day, you are going to be the country's foremost Buckeye breeder / go-to person. I hope you stick with the breed for life.

I agree with you, Chris. Isn't it great to see this?! Good for you, Punky!
thumbsup.gif

thanks so much!
big_smile.png

thanks
punky

Quote:
Bad habits are hard to break. But if you have given them lots of room, toys to play with and proper nutrition, they should no longer be interested in pecking each other. The suet with seeds should do the trick. The suet has protein. We had some buckeye bantams pick the male bad. Once I got him well....and got Jacob (7) to feed the correct feed, the issue was over. the hens no longer pick his feathers.

Indeed, habits are hard to break. Let me tell you what I feed. Please critique! Green mountain organic layer pellets free choice (Corn based, soy protein). one, 1/4 lb hamburg every other day cooked with breakfast (when it is cold something cooked and warm[oatmeal, cooked hulled millet etc]) boss and whole oats as scratch. Will add suet/seed balls today/tomorrow. And of course free choice water (except at night because it was causeing ice buildup on the ceiling). I am out at first light to give them their H2O and feed. They do not have any artificial light.
Thanks!

How old are your birds?? How much oats are you feeding as a percentage of their diet?? If you do not need scratch to loosen the litter, you may want to skip it. Feeding scratch lowers the protein in their total diet. Buckeyes are more sensitive to this, so that may be why they are feather picking. Buckeyes also seem to like a lot of room..... We used to make a higher protein Layer Feed (19%) for birds like this, but we never sold enough to continue making it.... Most other breeds do better on lower protein diets (16%-17%). From what I know, when growing Buckeyes, protein should be 27-29% for the first 4-6 weeks, and 22% from there to about 17-18 weeks and then onto the layer feed. I would just try getting the scratch out of the diet, and get a little more protein into it....maybe a little more hamburg.

Quote:
Indeed, habits are hard to break. Let me tell you what I feed. Please critique! Green mountain organic layer pellets free choice (Corn based, soy protein). one, 1/4 lb hamburg every other day cooked with breakfast (when it is cold something cooked and warm[oatmeal, cooked hulled millet etc]) boss and whole oats as scratch. Will add suet/seed balls today/tomorrow. And of course free choice water (except at night because it was causeing ice buildup on the ceiling). I am out at first light to give them their H2O and feed. They do not have any artificial light.
Thanks!

How old are your birds?? How much oats are you feeding as a percentage of their diet?? If you do not need scratch to loosen the litter, you may want to skip it. Feeding scratch lowers the protein in their total diet. Buckeyes are more sensitive to this, so that may be why they are feather picking. Buckeyes also seem to like a lot of room..... We used to make a higher protein Layer Feed (19%) for birds like this, but we never sold enough to continue making it.... Most other breeds do better on lower protein diets (16%-17%). From what I know, when growing Buckeyes, protein should be 27-29% for the first 4-6 weeks, and 22% from there to about 17-18 weeks and then onto the layer feed. I would just try getting the scratch out of the diet, and get a little more protein into it....maybe a little more hamburg.

Chooks were hatched April and May. My buckeyes head under the porch,(10'X28' and pasture[100'permanet fencing]) as soon as I let them out. They aren't spending much time in the coop, awake. I can use just BOSS as a scratch as I believe that it is higher in protein. Also more 'burg isn't a problem. What do you feel about cat food to supplement for protein? They are only getting a couple of cups of oats daily. I generally wait awhile after turning them out to throw it. I like them to fill up first on the pellets. I have 5 buckeyes and 4 other pullets(who aren't feather pecking) Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate them!
Ginny

I am not sure about feeding cat food..... It is high in protein, and has some animal proteins. I am just not sure about the other ingredients in a typical cat food, and how they could effect your birds.

I would skip the oats, and let them fill up on stuff that is higher in protein. Try getting more protein into the total diet. Hopefully that will help to break the habit. Maybe someone else on here can give some info about feeding them cat food....

Quote:
Ive heard that theres something in cat food that is poisonous to chickens in high amouts.

I think its the kitten food that's really bad. And it only takes a little cat food.

Quote:
Ive heard that theres something in cat food that is poisonous to chickens in high amouts.

some brands of cat food are high in salt... feed moderitly and buy a brand that is lower in salt...

Thought I'd post some pictures of my hens from Buckeyedave's eggs

18074_buckeyehen.jpg

18074_buckeyhen2010.jpg

I bought these eggs this past spring, I kept three of the girls, the third one refused to pose for a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom