Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any Buckeyes yet but was thinking of getting a couple this Spring. This is a very long thread and I haven't read all of it, but I thought I saw a post on here that they have a higher than normal protein requirement, close to 30%, and that part of that protein should be animal. I think someone even said they cooked hamburger for their flock each morning? Now I love all my chickens, and sometimes I cook oatmeal - but not hamburger. So do other Buckeye owners feed them differently?

So I don't want to get some chickens that would have totally different feed requirements than my existing mix of breeds. Our chickens, all hens, are allowed to free range most of the time and get their fair share of whatever bugs, worms and sometimes baby snakes - besides that we have them on layer pellets at about 16% protein which we supplement with greens and sunflower seed.

Quote:
Buckeyes do better with a slightly higher protein ration than just a plain old commercial layer 16%. And yes, they do MUCH better with a source of animal protein in their diets, all chickens do.

I feed mine a show bird ration that has 19% protein (I think, will have to check the label) and when chicks I feed them a turkey starter that has 28% protein for the first 12 weeks or so.

I don't cook hamburger for my birds, fwiw...

laura how do you like him???
63711_018.jpg

can post moreif you want them!
punky

Last edited:
Not so sure about that comb, hard to tell, he may be carrying the single comb gene. Otherwise he looks nice in those pics.

I doubt it he came from BOb Rhodes I hope he doesn't have it. I do have a Page cockerel that has it for sure

Betterhens . . Is there a good quantitative way to measure heart girth?

With your thumb and index finger, feel under the wings where the heart is-- check for the THICKNESS there at that point. When feeling and weighing, it is best to do all your pullets first as they will seem small and then do all cockerels together. Going from one to the next , actually do hands-on side by side comparisons. The differences will jump out at you & leave you with no doubt.

Betterhens: For the pullets, we plan to move the bigger ones into the coop after the cockerels have integrated a bit, but then I wonder on the smaller pullets? Should we keep them, or at what point and how should you select for Buckeye hens?

On the pullets at 16 weeks of age, check for width of pelvis bones, the wider, the better layer. I evaluate for overall size and shape as well. I like a big thick hen.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom