Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Nice birds! Look at that collection.
celebrate.gif

I don't know my chicken "breeds" yet, but let me try. Do I spy: Polish, silkies, and Turkens in that bunch? What are the yellowish ones? All that I know about chickens is what I have been able to gleen off this site so far.

The Buckeyes have such a nice look to them. I love the color of this breed and their body shape.

Thanks!
WyoDreamer, you have a good eye! I do have silkies, and I can see why you said Turkens, because of that silly looking chick there. In this chick tractor, I actually have several different breeds.....
Jersey Giants
Strange mix of Buff Cochin X White D'uccle (those are the buff chicks)
Silkies
Buckeyes
Jersey X Red Sexlink

Whew! The Buckeyes are the only ones I'll be keeping out of this group...well, maybe a pair of the Buff X's, just to see what they will look like when grown. Even though I'm the chicken lover at my house, my husband has his own small flock of chickens--the Jerseys. He loves them, and won't let me get rid of them! They are very nice, but the chicks grow very slowly, and the adults don't lay as many eggs as I'd like. Soooo, that's why I'm trying out Buckeyes. I could have bought any type of eggs out there, and after much deliberation, the Buckeyes won! I'm happy with them so far, and I do plan to keep them. So, watch out, because I'll be posting photos of them as they grow up:)

Really enjoying my Buckeyes! They are so docile and friendly. I have been feeding them turkey poult starter/grower (locally grown and produced and 28% protein) and they are doing very well. And GUESS WHAT?! I saw two or three of them roosting the other day, so there's hope that they won't sleep on the ground in a little pile forever.
lol.png

Even though I don't treat them like pets, just give 'em food and water once or twice a day, they come right up to me and aren't skittish. They don't like me to touch them, of course, but I really love how generally calm they are. They are so pretty. While I enjoy my Buff Orpintons, I'm considering just switching over to Buckeyes. I'm waiting to see how they lay for me, though.

Thanks again, Dave. Your birds are great. Once they get a little bigger, I'll post pictures so y'all can help me pick a breeding trio or two.

I,m new to chickens and would love to start with some nice buckeye chicks.Does anyone in NW Georgia sale chicks or young birds?
lol.png

To Suburban Hayseed
welcome-byc.gif

I need some info on production. Have read everything under the sun about the number of eggs and the size of eggs produced by buckeyes.Sources don't match so I'm feeling really lost here!

Would anyone be willing to share the size of eggs they get from a mature hen and how many? Is this consistent among all the hens? Or do the hens range in production?

Last season we shipped nearly 500 day old chicks... from November till May. All tolled we lost two in transit and that was due to the Post Office being two days late making delivery in Indianapolis. In cold months all our boxes go out with 72 hour heat pads and a supply of food to see them through... providing the Post Office doesn't screw up. As a matter of course we ship extra birds with each order in the event of a dead bird(s) in transit and our customers seem to be very gratefull for the consideration. We provide our customers with the Post Office tracking number information within hours of each shipment either by email or telephone so they are able to track their shipment. The lady that lost the two birds did not fault us... she was able to track the shipments progress as were we. I think communication and genuine effort to "make/do the right thing" stops situations from becoming problems.

As an example, we gave a lady 25 day old birds free (she paid shipping). She had placed an order with another breeder months and months ago and the order was never filled. She stated (almost in tears) that she and another lady had saved money for the order for several months and were really looking forward to getting their Buckeyes. She said that she had tried to get a refund from the breeder but had been unseccessful and was told by the breeder that he had no idea when or if he would be able to fill the order and made no effort to refund her prepayment. She asked if we were still shipping birds, as it was getting warm... late May. She didn't know if she would be able to come up with the money but in case she could... would we ship. We told her she would get her Buckeyes if we had to hand deliver them to her front yard... about 200 miles from our place. The chicks hatched... the temp was cool... we shipped and they all made it, safe and sound.

Profit? We did't make a dime, probably lost money. Good will? We got a ton of it. Several of her friends have already placed orders for next season. It seems you can hardly go wrong "doing the right thing". So the moral of the story is really kinda simple... the old Golden Rule... Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... I don't think you can go wrong. You might get burned a few times but in reality what have you really lost... a few eggs. And as most people on here have said, they are not in this "business" to make their fortune (that ain't going to happen).

We also do a lot work with 4-H kids. This year I think we helped start about a half dozen 4-H Bukeys flocks. To 4-H kids we sell them birds at half price. Every now and then we'll get an email with a picture showing us the progress they've made with their birds and the prizes they have won... and that is a feeling of accomplishment you can buy.

Quote:
We had the same experience TWICE this year. Another "breeder" did not fulfill an order...would not give a date to fill the order...would not refund the money. Unfortunately for newbies to the game, they had done what they thought WAS research. Had read about the breed, found this "breeder" through magazine articles, and ordered with great hope.

Before ordering chicks or eggs from anyone, call the Better Business Bureau in the breeder's state (this "breeder" has a F rating with the BBB) or call the attorney general's office to see if there are any complaints (again, this "breeder" has had several complaints filed against him/her).

I'll agree -- things happen with livestock. But a "breeder" who cannot give a shipping date, and allows a buyer to wait for months is not helpful to the breed -- no matter how may times they crow about Buckeyes or whine about problems. Refunds promptly given when orders cannot be fulfilled in a reasonable time are fair.

We do not "spend" any money pre-paid for chicks. The money is held in a separate account until the chicks are shipped. In this way, if there are problems, the money is quickly refunded. We have not had to refund any money -- but we could -- quickly.

Also, chicks should never be sent Priority Mail, but only Express Mail. Yes, it costs more, but the buyer is the one paying for the shipping. Express Mail generally arrives next day -- although I had the Post Office "lose" a shipment this year. The chicks were delivered 12 hours + behind schedule, and the buyers had to drive to the airport to retrieve them. Two of the chicks were lost due to heat -- it was the last shipment of the year, and unfortunately the heat had spiked.

Communication is the key. Before the money is transferred, before the chicks are shipped. The "breeder" referenced above is too willing to blame everyone and everything for his/her failures to complete the transaction -- but is also unwilling to quickly communicate with the buyers, or refund the purchase price. Buyer beware.

Janet Hatch
J Squared Farms
NW MO
NPIP 43-727

Buckeyes -- and only Buckeyes

Quote:
Egg laying would depend on a couple things; feed; clean water; strains; selection; ect.

My Buckeyes have been slowing down lately. They seem to lay better in the cold rather than the heat.

Mitch

Hi,

I'm Diane, in NE Ohio, and I got my first chickens (all Buckeyes) this year. I am thoroughly enjoying the birds.

Yesterday evening, I let the birds out to free range at dusk, and one of the suspected boys (who was unfortunately named Lola, as he was sold to me as a pullet) started pecking excitedly. We heard a lot of squeaking, and voila, Lola produced a dead mouse. I have at least one mouser in the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom