Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You don't want them too old to show as cockerels and pullets. for some shows this means under a year, for some of the bigger shows later in the year, they want a bird hatched after January 1. So it depends on when you will be showing and which shows.

Sorry, Jen, but that doesn't make sense to me. Were they all APA/ABA shows?

Punky some county fairs have it so that they consider young birds hatched before Jan 1 an everything before that is considered old.

Stuck in the Coop, I was told that the ideal showing age was 8 months for pullets and 10 months for cockerels.

Quote:
Sorry, Jen, but that doesn't make sense to me. Were they all APA/ABA shows?

Punky some county fairs have it so that they consider young birds hatched before Jan 1 an everything before that is considered old.

Stuck in the Coop, I was told that the ideal showing age was 8 months for pullets and 10 months for cockerels.

Yes, and I've read in the 2010 SOP, that a cockerel and pullet is under one year of age, and cocks and hens are over. Is that not true?

Quote:

Yes, and I've read in the 2010 SOP, that a cockerel and pullet is under one year of age, and cocks and hens are over. Is that not true?

That is true, some shows have different rules. Alot of County and State fairs are not Sanctioned by the APA or ABA.

Quote:

That is true, some shows have different rules. Alot of County and State fairs are not Sanctioned by the APA or ABA.

Yes, I understand that. But I believe the show Jen is talking about is an APA show.
Mitch

Specifically I am talking about the Shawnee Oklahoma show, a big apa/aba show. It was in November and they specified cockerels and pullets had to have a hatch date Jan 1 or later.

I don't know, that does not seem like fallowing the standard to me.

Anyway, how are your grow out birds doing?
Mitch
smile.png

Awesome thread for an awesome breed! I myself have two Buckeyes that I ordered from IDEAL Poultry hatchery. The cockerel had a leg problem for the first few weeks of his life, but he recovered and is doing wonderfully. My pullet is excelling in her growth and looks beautiful. I'd post pictures, but I don't know how
tongue.png
Ah, the bane of being a newbie!

Hi all,

I banded my favorite Buckeyes today. One younger cockerel (nice size, color's coming in), two real nice older pullets (nice size and color), one that I'm so-so about (smaller than the others and not as good color, but better than the extra two), and one nice looking younger pullet (nice color, size will come). They're still young, but I'm happy with 'em
Hope they turn out nice,
Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom