Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wattles and comb of this cockerel seem excessively large and the feathering seems somewhat mottled for a buckeye. Although some of the pullets in the following posts look like decent birds. Ma y have just been one chick that was a cross breed.
Thanks for your reply. That's what I was thinking, I guess I was just grasping at straws because he's such a pretty bird. I finally found out where my buckeyes spend their days. I don't usually see them when I go down to where the chickens are, but today one came wandering out of the tall grass by the grove and there was more rustling in the grass behind him. Mine aren't overly friendly, but they are definitely the first ones out of the run when I go let them out in the morning.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd stop in here and see how everyone is doing. We've been having terrible heat here in KY, and are fighting the good fight to keep the birds healthy - ice in the water pans, hosing down the coops/runs, the works.

We lost one older hen who refused to come out of the nest box (broodies!) even though another hen was atop her to lay. Six boxes in that pen, but they all have to gang up in one, what's that about?!!

At any rate, hope everyone is coping well, and all your birds stay healthy.

I know many have been fighting the heat in many places of the country. I talked with Joel Gilman this past weekend and he said he lost over a hundred birds to the heat! Laura, I can empathize and relate. Fortunately, I haven't lost any birds to heat - at least I don't think so though I did lose one Easter Egger who was acting a little funny one night and found her dead the next morning - but I have seen on more than one occasion as many as 3-4 hens all scrambling trying to fit into one nesting box at the same time. All the while there are FIVE others nearby not even being used! Go figure.

Btw Laura, I'm sure you'll love this... it was 58 degrees and raining here on July 3rd. Finally have started getting some sunshine and warm weather. It was actually "hot" a couple of days.

God Bless,

I've got one Buckeye hen that gives me an egg that is close to 6 ounces sometimes. I was having terrible fertility problems with those eggs in particular. The other gal that was in the breeding pen with her had no fertility problems at all. So I don't know what was up with that. Anyways, I've been able to hatch a few chicks out of these humongous eggs and you should see the size of the chicks that come out of them! They are pert near the size of a two week old chick from the other eggs! I'm anxious to see how these grow out and what they turn out to be as adults.

I hatched a ton of chicks out this year from just two roosters and two pullets. I decided to go ahead and get rid of the two roosters and hope I wind up with a couple of son for one or both of them that is better than their dads. Both of them were strong birds with excellent traits but fell short in a couple of areas so I saw no need to keep them. The best they ever got was RB so am hoping for something better from their progeny.

In all the offspring this year I'm seeing pretty good Type for the most part. I've taken Chris' and Don's counsel to heart and am trying to pay closer attention to skull width now. The biggest problem I'm seeing is a lot of the blue smut showing up in the shoulder areas of both males and females. I also need to greatly improve their leg color and I'm not seeing much improvement this year. That's disappointing.

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted anything here so that pretty much brings things up to speed. Hope all is doing well and enjoying your birds!

God Bless,

I've got one Buckeye hen that gives me an egg that is close to 6 ounces sometimes. I was having terrible fertility problems with those eggs in particular. The other gal that was in the breeding pen with her had no fertility problems at all. So I don't know what was up with that. Anyways, I've been able to hatch a few chicks out of these humongous eggs and you should see the size of the chicks that come out of them! They are pert near the size of a two week old chick from the other eggs! I'm anxious to see how these grow out and what they turn out to be as adults.

I hatched a ton of chicks out this year from just two roosters and two pullets. I decided to go ahead and get rid of the two roosters and hope I wind up with a couple of son for one or both of them that is better than their dads. Both of them were strong birds with excellent traits but fell short in a couple of areas so I saw no need to keep them. The best they ever got was RB so am hoping for something better from their progeny.

In all the offspring this year I'm seeing pretty good Type for the most part. I've taken Chris' and Don's counsel to heart and am trying to pay closer attention to skull width now. The biggest problem I'm seeing is a lot of the blue smut showing up in the shoulder areas of both males and females. I also need to greatly improve their leg color and I'm not seeing much improvement this year. That's disappointing.

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted anything here so that pretty much brings things up to speed. Hope all is doing well and enjoying your birds!

God Bless,
From my research, if you happen to get a hen with a real clean wing and tail, she would make a good breeder with your dark roos. Or if one of the cockerels is not as dark, he would be a good breeder with your dark hens. Otherwise I would look for a lighter clean hen or two for breeding less black. I also have read that it is easier to remove the black than to add black that isnt there. Good luck.

Just wondering..... We were processing our extra roosters of orps/marans today and wondering about the buckeyes and processing. I hope to have some to process next year since I have what seems to be 3 roosters and 3 hens from what I have hatched. Are they a bigger bird than the orps to freeze? What is the best age to process them? About what age do they start laying?

Quote:
I can't answer the orp question because we've never processed them. We process our Buckeyes at 16-20 weeks (and IMO, about 18 weeks is the best age to process them).

My Buckeyes start laying at 24-26 weeks old unless they are hatched in June or later, then it is longer due to the simultaneous shortening of the days {I do not use artificial lighting to lengthen days prefer to let them cycle naturally}.

On a similar note. Do the buckeye really produce more meat for the carcass size? Has anyone done side by side studies? I have some marans that are 12 months and not worth eating IMO. I have a few BUckeye chicks to raise up for comparision. I don't mind a smaller bird, just would like to get enough meat to be worthwhile. ANyone one to take a shot at my question?

On a similar note. Do the buckeye really produce more meat for the carcass size? Has anyone done side by side studies? I have some marans that are 12 months and not worth eating IMO. I have a few BUckeye chicks to raise up for comparision. I don't mind a smaller bird, just would like to get enough meat to be worthwhile. ANyone one to take a shot at my question?
Emeril did a video on buckeyes. Check it out. Maybe give you an idea.http://planetgreen.discovery.com/videos/emeril-green-preserved-lemon-bricked-chicken.html

THanks Josh. I tried looking at the footage---didn't work on my dial up. SOmetimes I can get it , sometimes not. Will try looking via another service though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom