Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went out to feed my chickens and as usual the buckeyes were the ones first at my feet and trying to get out the gate. I have had to put them in the large covered run lately because of a red fox and hawks that have attacked and killed 3 of my hens and one rooster. I know the buckeyes are dying to get out!

I am still waiting to state for sure whether I have 3 roosters and 3 hens or 4 roosters and 2 hens. One possible rooster is smaller than the other two and just slower to develop. I will try to post some pictures soon. They are 16 weeks now and looking forward to laying buckeyes in the next couple months.

Here are a couple pictures of ours. Blue, is the rooster we just picked up this week. Not a great picture, but I believe he is a buckeye roo. He could be a welsummer, but the coloring seems closer to the buckeye with the green in his tail.

In the second picture, Tiara, the bird in front is the other bird I believe is a buckeye. they are about 14 weeks old.

My daughters picked them out at the feed store for me for mothers day, and the rooster is a rescue from a friend who wanted hens and got a roo!

Blue.  The Rooster.

Peep. Chirp. Fanny and Tiara.

I recall that several of the Buckeye breeders in this thread like to feed an extra high protein diet to the chicks when starting them. Do you like the higher protein diet for the older birds too? I've got several roos separated out from the girls now, and I realized that they probably don't need the calcium in the layer feed that I use for the hens, so I'm thinking about giving them a feed that is more appropriate.

THe heritage thread just had a discussion on feeding; quality feeds = quality health. Notably, one of the protein sources should be a meat protein.

With a quality protein , like a meat source is, the overall protein content can be decreased.

I made a video with my camera and was able to download it to my computer. It is a video of young Buckeye cockerels foraging with my cows. It shows just how active at foraging they are. You can see the cockerels jumping and running under and around the cows catching horseflies. However, I have not been able to upload the video to YouTube or anything (it will also not let me attach in an email). My computer at home is a Mac, and I have the video as a project in iMovies. I am not able to utilize the share button in iMovies to conform it to any other type of format. If someone can guide me to a way to amend & upload to YouTube, I would love to make the video available as a post on this thread. Any Mac savvy folks?

Thanks ya'll.

Chris

I'm interested in getting Buckeyes; does anybody know of anyone who sells and ships Buckeye chicks?
I got a trio of bantam Buckeyes last fall, was wondering if anyone out there is working with the bantam version, and would be willing to part with some of their genetics, as I had some discussion with some of the judges at the Iowa State Fair poultry show and was informed that there probably aren't any that they had seen and recommended the great state of Ohio. Would be interested in trying to improve on mine!Fertility seems to be my biggest problem. I ended up with a dozen juvies out of the trio(better than nothing), but would like to do better! ANYONE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom