Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bennett/McDaniel had three bantams on champion row....a black rosecomb (champion bantam/reserve of show), a birchen modern game, and an OE. All three were exceptional examples of each breed. Thanks all for the nice comments! It was a nice weekend for the breed!

Hi all - I have a sister that lives in Naperville, IL who would like to add a buckeye hen to her small pet (2 bird) flock. She would prefer a grown bird, and would be happy with a retired breeder or bird culled for not bring up to breeding standards. Please let me know in you have an extra bird, and are in northern Indiana or Illinois, or from there up to the Lansing MI area - thanks, Mary

Last edited:
Got my chicks yesterday. It ended up being 5 Buckeyes and 4 Salmon Favarolles. They are pretty cute and my daughters love them. About every hour they want to head downstairs to make sure that the chicks are doing okay. My little mother hens doing what they do best.
big_smile.png

Here's one of the Buckeyes...

29 chicks, lil ******** already ruined the water. They were only in the box an hour and its already the consistency of oatmeal!

To clear up, the one is not blonde. We had to use 2 low watt bulbs when we first got them, so they hung low and made the chicks look that way.

Last edited:
I have 13 Buckeye chicks, 3 that are 10 weeks old, and 10 that are 8 weeks old. How old are they normally before it is a no brainer on sexing them?

Dan

I have 13 Buckeye chicks, 3 that are 10 weeks old, and 10 that are 8 weeks old. How old are they normally before it is a no brainer on sexing them?

Dan
It could be guessed now with a greater than 90% accuracy by weight & comb redness but for a "no-brainer," I would say 14-16 weeks old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom