Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're not worrying too much if it's in the sop, and you're breeding to sop. you have the sop and know what is supposed to be. the end.

you're awesome. you're a rock star. don't yield to anyone. :)

I think I got that from the SOP, so I'm probably just worrying too much. I would really appreciate any info you have on a breeder in California. Thank you so much for all that feedback, I feel much better about the whole thing. Hopefully more pictures soon...

Eye colour can be up to a 4 point cut which is significant. It can also be an important breeding consideration as eye colour can be linked to other traits. In my Rhode Island Red Bantams [similar in colour to Buckeyes] when I kept pullets with brown eyes they produced female offspring with too much red in their tails & too little black in their wings.

Ok, here they are...

Profile of the Rooster... he weighed in today at about 9lbs

Overhead of the rooster

Rear end of the Rooster....not sure that needed explanation

Overhead of the hen...

Barring of the hen on right side under wing... consistent with back under-color

Head of hen....

Closeup overhead of Rooster

Breast view of Rooster including wattles...

Well, that's about all the pix I have at the moment. They were both relatively easy to handle. I promise I won't continue to hog the thread with all my pictures..
Best,
Brice

My husband told me he wanted some buckeyes this spring as we live in Ohio. I didn't realise how pretty they were. Enjoying the pictures. :)

Quote:
Much better pictures. The cockerel looks a lot better in those pictures. You should be fine pairing those two. Let us know what you get.

Eye colour can be up to a 4 point cut which is significant. It can also be an important breeding consideration as eye colour can be linked to other traits. In my Rhode Island Red Bantams [similar in colour to Buckeyes] when I kept pullets with brown eyes they produced female offspring with too much red in their tails & too little black in their wings.

If eye color were or had been a problem with Buckeyes, I can see where one would want to cull on the basis of eye color. I have not seen it as a problem area. What I have heard of folks doing is culling on the basis of eye color at 16 weeks old or younger. What 12 week old or 16 week old Buckeye has its adult eye color? Also, Buckeye eye color deteriorates with age.

seeing as I've gotten kicked off a facebook page for something I did not do, I figure I'll come here to talk to friendly breeders and get critiques on some of my birds. Lines I have are Lay/Shumaker. Don't have one orange feather in the bunch. All place when I take them to shows.

this guy's by a Mr.Powell out of Ohio. Reserve champion american at Central Indiana as cockerel, Best of Breed at Indiana State Fair as a cockerel. 1st at Indiana Poultry Breeders Association as a cock bird.

this one's a 6month old out of Shumaker stock
(note: he has NO black surface feathers. Picture just didn't come out right.)

Another shot of the same cockerel. 3rd at his first show against 2 of his more matured brothers.

Pullet of same lineage (1st place in her class at Indiana Poultry Breeders Association)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom