Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of Digital Baby scales I use for lots of things. Weighing packages, weighing puppies, weighing fertilizer, weighing chickens. I never weighed a baby on them
smile.png

Dan

We actually have used our baby scale to weigh a baby, once. But we did purchase the scale for the express purpose of weighing chickens. I've also purchased used dishwasher bottle racks at the consignment store for the purpose of separating chicks as they hatch.

Congratulations again to Jerry Couch for winning the American Class at the 'Something to Crow About' show in Newport, TN. Jerry won Class CH again with the Buckeye Cock purchased from Laura Haggarty as a chick (the same cock bird who won the Class in Moulton, Alabama a few weeks ago).

Okay....you all may or may not think this one is funny, but our family thinks it's hysterical.

We got our first buckeye last spring. We named her "Lucy" because she's a pretty redhead. Well, my then 4 year old daughter couldn't remember the name, so all weekend she'd ask, "What is the buckeye's name?" She pronounced it oddly, but she was 4, so we didn't think much of it. A few days in she asked again, "Mommy, what is the buckeye's name?" I answered (for about the hundredth time) "The buckeye's name is Lucy."

Well, she put her hands on her hips, and glared at me squarely. She scolded, "Mommy. Why do you keep calling her a "butt guy?" She's a nice chickie!!!!)

Sorry. Had to share.
jumpy.gif

--Nikki

Alright everyone, I'm working on a coop. Trying to decide something. Would it be crossing the line to match a paint to a buckeye nut?
Aside from the fact that it would be a little too twee,
wink.png
you'd find the color too dark for this climate I think. I'd go with white if I were you.

Edited to add, do you even have a Buckeye nut? If not, let me know. I have a big bowl of them, collected from under the tree back home at the farm in OH.

Last edited:
Congratulations again to Jerry Couch for winning the American Class at the 'Something to Crow About' show in Newport, TN. Jerry won Class CH again with the Buckeye Cock purchased from Laura Haggarty as a chick (the same cock bird who won the Class in Moulton, Alabama a few weeks ago).

Go Jerry go! I hope he takes that bird to the ABA National December 7-8 in Knoxville, that should be a big show.

Last edited:
I also heard that Joe Shumaker won CH Large Fowl at the Columbus IN show yesterday, congratulations to him on his win! So nice to see so many Buckeyes getting to Champion Row, a real boost for the breed!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Aside from the fact that it would be a little too twee,
wink.png
you'd find the color too dark for this climate I think. I'd go with white if I were you.

Edited to add, do you even have a Buckeye nut? If not, let me know. I have a big bowl of them, collected from under the tree back home at the farm in OH.
Laura, I would Love to have a Buckeye nut. My Grand Dad used to have one he always carried around for good luck. I am not sure what happened to it or where he even came up with it. I need to ask my Dad.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom