Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am disappointed in the fact that I pay for my standard and the Poultry Press but people post the standards and whole articles from the PP online. I guess I won't need to purchase either again.Is there not a copyright restriction on either?!?! I will post a pic later of a buckeye cock that has been free ranging for a year and a half. He still is as dark as the day I opened his coop. So in my opinion using the sun as an excuse is just that. That is unless the UV and sun is different in Kentucky than it is everywhere else. Or maybe it is that a dark bird doesn't fade as quickly as a lighter bird to begin with. Or possibly it has something to do with the under color. Who knows. Mine are dark or they don't breed. In the sun or not.

I am disappointed in the fact that I pay for my standard and the Poultry Press but people post the standards and whole articles from the PP online. I guess I won't need to purchase either again.Is there not a copyright restriction on either?!?! I will post a pic later of a buckeye cock that has been free ranging for a year and a half. He still is as dark as the day I opened his coop. So in my opinion using the sun as an excuse is just that. That is unless the UV and sun is different in Kentucky than it is everywhere else. Or maybe it is that a dark bird doesn't fade as quickly as a lighter bird to begin with. Or possibly it has something to do with the under color. Who knows. Mine are dark or they don't breed. In the sun or not.

Where have you seen the SOP reproduced? I will have it removed, as it is a copyright violation.
Darker birds fade slower than lighter birds and all birds fade in the sun.......particularly as the feathers get older. Black birds fade as well. No bird is going to look pristine before a molt. Sometimes if the birds can stay in a shady place part of the day the fading takes longer.

Walt

FWIW, the American Buckeye Poultry Club applied to the APA for permission to post just the Buckeye portion of the Standard on our website some years ago, and were given permission to do so.

But we don't have the whole Standard online, of course not.

I am disappointed in the fact that I pay for my standard and the Poultry Press but people post the standards and whole articles from the PP online. I guess I won't need to purchase either again.Is there not a copyright restriction on either?!?!

Also FWIW, I retain copyright to any article I write, for whatever publication (I write for several at this time.) So am able to post my articles online with impunity.

And certainly, mine was not the only article in the PP this month, it is well worth paying for a subscription to it, as there is much in there of worth, not the least of which are the listings of the various shows.

"I am disappointed in the fact that I pay for my standard and the Poultry Press but people post the standards and whole articles from the PP online. I guess I won't need to purchase either again."

Not 'whole articles', one article. And why would anyone be disappointed that the author posts their article online to clear up any confusion and misconception about it's content? If nothing else, I'd think giving people a sample of the caliber of writing the Poultry Press publishes would make people want to subscribe. As Pathfinders points out, there are plenty of other reasons to carry it. (regardless of what breed you have)

I especially find it appauling that someone would use their special permissions from the APA to post that said SOP in order to direct readers of the Poultry Press and all over the internet to their website. I would think that those special permissions would be used only for members of the club. I see it as abuse of your APA permissions. Just my opinion as someone who pays for the SOP each new addition and pays for the PP every year.

I will post a pic later of a buckeye cock that has been free ranging for a year and a half. He still is as dark as the day I opened his coop. So in my opinion using the sun as an excuse is just that. That is unless the UV and sun is different in Kentucky than it is everywhere else. Or maybe it is that a dark bird doesn't fade as quickly as a lighter bird to begin with. Or possibly it has something to do with the under color. Who knows. Mine are dark or they don't breed. In the sun or not.
I look forward to seeing photos of your birds. What bloodlines are you working with?

Nice to be back from my busy hiatus.

FWIW, my Buckeye males are generally darker than my females and therefore, have very little sun fading. Younger birds sun fade less than older birds, and new feathers look better than older feathers. Isn't this generally true of all breeds with color?

My birds free range but tend to stay out of the sun when it is hottest & brightest -- staying in shade during the peak sun. This is not just a Buckeye thing, but I have noticed the same trends with my La Fleche.

I can show pictures of free ranging birds that are dark too. I can also show you some 4 & 5 year old Buckeyes hens that are faded. I kept them for breeding for their excellent type & could not care less about their color at their age. I do not see the big deal.

Chris McCary

What bloodlines are you working with?
Mrs. Metcalf's buckeyes, they were all descendants to hers, aren't they.......it's just a shame that some breed them so light in color.
Nice to be back from my busy hiatus.

FWIW, my Buckeye males are generally darker than my females and therefore, have very little sun fading. Younger birds sun fade less than older birds, and new feathers look better than older feathers. Isn't this generally true of all breeds with color?

My birds free range but tend to stay out of the sun when it is hottest & brightest -- staying in shade during the peak sun. This is not just a Buckeye thing, but I have noticed the same trends with my La Fleche.

I can show pictures of free ranging birds that are dark too. I can also show you some 4 & 5 year old Buckeyes hens that are faded. I kept them for breeding for their excellent type & could not care less about their color at their age. I do not see the big deal.

Chris McCary

Well thank you Mr McCary for illustrating my point clearly. I guess no need to post pics now. It is up to the breeder whether they breed birds that are light, dark, have the undercolor or not. And it seems if you don't like the outcome of such breeding or to CYA, you can always just blame the sun, the person you got the birds from 5 years ago, so on and so forth. Or you can take ownership of what you produce and be happy with the outcome. Any bird that fades quickly whether it be the sun or not, does not reproduce here. That's part of my overall plan. Each person has their own plan. But I won't give my birds excuses or my breeding program excuses. They breed, lay eggs only, or they get the ax. Mine is simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom