Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Wow, ummm, got any extras?
big_smile.png

OK with all these very cute bits of fluff on here I'm wondering do Buckeyes raise their own or do I need an incubator ? Congrats to all who have wee babies and to jenjscott WoW !!
celebrate.gif

Good to know.I've had bantys for yrs and they always come out of the woodwork/hay/bushes/sagebrush with babies in tow !
tongue.png

Ok, folks, I'm about ready to leave for the Northeaster Congress Poultry Show (in MA, I live in KY) tonight. If you send me PMs, don't be upset if I don't reply until Monday. Thankfully, James and the girls are staying home to do chores!

Cheers,

Laura

chocolate_ muscovy: cgmccary, you mentioned different buckeye strains near the beginning of this thread. What's the difference between Urch, Brown, etc.? Are they bred for meat/dual purpose/exhibition in various proportions? Or are these strains mostly geographical?

It is not really geographical but more simply, a different & distinct population-- for lack of a better term: a strain as being different in their source or origin & unrelated and apart. To constitute a strain, the population of birds must be bred in more than one location by more than one breeder. Keep in mind this is by word of mouth. Those of us who talk about Buckeyes have developed our own groupings to identify the source- trying to identify genetic variation. We have just arbitrarily assigned the strains names ourselves from our discussions (and others may want to group birds differently using their own, their different standards, terminology,etc. [although "others" it seems have chosen to "copy" our terminology]):

Urch Strain: named for Duane Urch (MN) who got his first Buckeyes in the late 1950s and sustained them ever since, APA Poultry Judge, SPPA founder & just about everything else; most Buckeyes seem to have originated from Mr. Urch's birds. Most breeders' lines inevitably lead back to Urch's flock but many have been bred apart from each other for many years. Examples: Sandhill Preservation line; Fitche line, Empire line, Romig line; Stromberg's Hatchery (OH).

Brown Strain: John Brown (OH) first acquired his birds from a woman in Canada in 2000; believed to have been some Chantecler bred into them not so far back in the past. Recently, by Brown himself, have had Dark Cornish bred into them for shorter legs, thicker shanks and darker color. We refer to them as Brown Strain because we believe they are a different population from Urch strain and Mr. Brown worked with these Canadian Buckeyes for the past 9 years & for lack of a better name . . . Example: Matt John/ Shady Lane Poultry

ALBC Strain: Through the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy's Buckeye recovery project, this population was created using Urch strain, Pearce Line/strain (15 generations Urch strain removed) and Brown strain and was finely selected-- they have their own look and are the ones you particularly see in the shows (because the ALBC breeders worked hard on their size, shape and weight). There are many flocks of this strain out there.

Mean-as-Snakes Strain: Schrider talks about this group as being a separate population distinct from the others and in the hands of a few Ohio breeders, when asked about their birds, they said they are as "mean as snakes" and thus the name. They were described as being extremely mean in temperament & unrelated to the other strains.

Rhodes Strain: named for Bob Rhodes (MA).

There are some other strains, no doubt.

Many of our lines are a combination of these strains. My line has Urch and ALBC. Laura Haggarty's (Pathfinders) line has Brown and ALBC. Some are pure Urch; others are pure ALBC. Ideal Hatchery (TX) got their birds from Meyer Hatchery (OH), and we are just unsure (at least I am) of Meyer's source -- they have not revealed it, are reluctant to do so or they just don't know.

ALBC Strain birds can be bred to Brown strain or Urch strain birds to strengthen their gene pool with no ill effect. remember though, we are just trying to identify the original source as far back as we can, that's all.​

Thank you for posting that!!!

Can I ask a questionf???

If the ALBC created their own strain, that looks different from the others, is that what you need to win a judged show??? That bird was created by judges, wasn't it???

Last edited:
http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/mrapp86/P1140102.jpg[/img][/img]
P1140102.jpg
[/img]
P1140099.jpg
[/img]
P1140100.jpg
[/img]
P1140102.jpg
P1140103.jpg
[/img]

cgmccary did that check you said but they all felt about same. Bruiser is like a year and half, six almost 8 months from Meyers and 2 are 7months from my eggs. I got a few pics but the cockrels were busy since my 8 yr old let them out of there pin. The hens were not happy about it. Thanks for the pointers cgmccary.

First time doing pics I'll have to work on that, sorry about that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom