Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I cannot find an email since 2/25, some servers don't like my address. You can just PM me here or call me direct at 937-726-7294.
I will hopefully have some chicks for local pickup after Wed of this week.

Quote:
The GPs bark their amazingly deep and huge bark all night, my wife refers to them as the "nuclear deterrent" but they don't do any good against the varmints that don't heed their bark or end up in their pen.

We went to a local auction on Saturday and picked up a blue heeler Australian cattle dog for a roving farm dog. I've heard alot of great things about the breed, I hope she works out as well.

Last edited:
Thank you Dave. I will give you a call this afternoon after school and guitar practice and making sure the kids chores are all done LOL

It appears there will soon be lots more Buckeye owners !

Ideal Poultry Farms is sold out of Buckeyes until May 2010!

https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/Products.aspx?Category=Brown Egg Layers

Buckeye
St Run
Sold Out Until
May 2010

Buckeye
Pullet
Sold Out Until
May 2010

Not that I am going to get any of Ideal's Buckeyes, have plenty with the 34 I have and may set some more eggs in May (If Jen has any available ?). Just nice to see the Buckeye gaining in popularity.

Still having to put ours to bed at night. They just don't want to climb the 18" or so up the lattice to the coop. Buck even called them in, but none obeyed him. Came in late last night from a singing at our church, The Perry's, and almost got ate by Buck. He did not hear me, but heard the first chick squawk at me when I picked it up. Buck growled and came at the coop doorway, until he saw me and relaxed. Guess Buck was going to protect his flock.

I think, with the economy, more people are getting chickens, period. It would be interesting to poll the hatcheries and see if their sales are up significantly.

Kathleen

Good morning everyone. I have 5 new Buckeye chicks that hatched over the weekend. These are from my cockerel I got from Chris and my pullet I got from Jay at the Ohio National. I am at work so I don't have any pics but will post some tonight when I get home. I want you all to look at them because I have 2 that are much lighter than any of the other Buckeyes I have hatched and 1 is much darker than the others I have hatched. But I will say that my pullet is lighter than the other ones I saw at the National so that may be it. Time flies when you're having fun. The chicks I hatched from Laura are now 11 weeks old and getting ready to move outside to the big coop, the ones I hatched from James are 6 weeks old and they are getting ready to move to the big brooder. I must say that I LOVE hatching out chicks. My whole family has gotten so into it, but I can't wait until I get a broody. I also have 11 more eggs in the bator from my stock so we will see how they hatch out. They are due 3/21.

Quote:
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Quote:
Sorry to be a bit off topic but

Due to Briney Dave's post instead of PMing or calling, I have had 8 phone calls since his post checking if my email is working. Honestly, it is Briney Dave's email from school that is having the issue, their server has my domain in their spam folder. If you have questions please email me and if I don't respond in a day or two PM me here.

thanks and sorry for the interruption

Thanks!!!!
Dave

Quote:
Soooo they can find backyard hatcheries and buy from them? They are in business to make money and in it only for the profit. I honestly think that people who buy big hatchery birds deserve big hatchery birds.

What is the least expensive part of chickeneering?
A. The feed
B. The water
C. The shelter
D. The chicks

The answer is D. The chicks.

If you start with hatchery birds you will always have hatchery birds, they are not bred with passion for the breed standard but for the love of money. The big hatcheries are only in it for the cash, backyard breeders actually love the breed and the breeds attributes and have a vested interest in it's success.

I for one will never buy from a big hatchery, buying from the backyard breeder is always worth the additional investment which basically ends up to being the cost of an additional bag of feed but effects the quality of your birds for their lifetime and the lifetime of their offspring.

Quote:
This past weekend I spoke with the guy who I bought my first 8 chickens from. He sells 16 week old Production Reds. They get in batches of 4000 chicks and raises them up to 16 weeks, then sell. He said they have added two more 4000 chick batches this year due to the high demand. So, what you are saying rings true around here as well. I can't imagine having 20,000 chickens running thru my farm in a 6 month window. Crazy! He sells them for $7.50 each, so he is knocking down some good cash doing this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom