Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris! Congratulations, you made it! So how is it? Do we get some pictures of the place? I know you must be so happy to finally get to move. So hopefully you will soon get your flock back. Don't stay gone so long! My guys and gals are suffering through the heat, but they're making it, although it has about killed the egg laying.

Quote:
After just getting back into chickens since I was in 4H 20 years ago, I purchased 12 Buckeye chicks from Brad Judge in Ann Arbor, MI. My birds act the way you describe yours. They are a delight! It's a sight to see all of them come running around the corner of the coop to see what I am up to. They get really close to us, but don't really like to be picked up.

I also purchased 13 BC Marans from Green Fire Farms, hoping to use them as a breeding project. So far I'm not inspired... The Buckeyes are so much more FUN!

My Buckeyes (from JamesA hatches) are 19 wks and 15 wks old. I just penned them together. Here are a few pictures.

31282_6-25-10_pictures_002.jpg

31282_6-25-10_pictures_003.jpg

31282_6-25-10_pictures_004.jpg

31282_6-25-10_pictures_005.jpg

31282_6-25-10_pictures_008.jpg

31282_6-25-10_pictures_010.jpg

This guy's name is, "Dinner," because he ......

31282_6-25-10_pictures_006.jpg

has suddenly developed a slight crossed beak. He will go to the processor with my Cornish X birds.

31282_6-25-10_pictures_007.jpg

Sent another 2 doz chicks up towards Northern Arkansas today. Well, carried them partway and met the buyer. Seems like about the time I slowed up hatching, folks want chicks. Now I just gotta get the girls to cooperate.

My bantam buckeyes have finally realized that the outside world is a good place and are leaving their coop by choice rather than being shooed out. Now they just need to figure out how to walk up the ramp to get back in!

Speaking of bantam buckeyes:

Has anyone had any white shanks/feet in their bantams? We had two or three this year hatch with white shanks/feet. was wondering what in their linage could have caused that. All with good type and color except the leg color. Parents have bright yellow shanks/feet. True Buckeyes! Just curious. have a trio of these pet quality offered in the BYC auction. The cockerel has good yellow leg color, we just don't need him. I did clarify in the listing about the white shanks. Any thoughts on what is causing this?

Would someone please tell me more about the buckeye bantams? First the particulars, how big do they get and how much room do one of these guys need? We of course have the standards...but as of late we have been getting into the OEGB..(and a trio of buff brahma bantams to use as serigate brooders)..how do the buckeyes compare in size to a 24 oz OEGB Roo?

I know the history of the Standards....developed in Ohio and what breeds Nettie Metcalf used. She didn't develope the bantams too did she? When did they hit the scene and what breeds where used to make them?

I tried google with not much luck....and I also wanted to post here because the buckeye thread should be at the front of Breeds, Genetics, & Showing, not three pages back.
wink.png

bf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom