Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I know, so very cool for our first National to have that many birds! ((sigh))

Ah well, family must come first.

Thanks.

Laura, I would be happy to help in any way I can. If you need me to run the meeting I can do that. Just let me know. I will keep your FIL in my prayers.

I would love to get some opinions on my Buckeye roo. He's going to be 25 weeks on Nov. 1st. How is he shaping up?

33190_get-attachmentaspx.jpg

Thanks for the input!

By the way, this picture makes him look a little lighter in color than he actually is.

Last edited:
Quote:
need a better of color and comb.from what i see the comb looks ok [need a pic or that]
shape looks good does he have any black on him other than on his tail?
where did you get him?
punky
big_smile.png

Farmington: I would love to get some opinions on my Buckeye roo. He's going to be 25 weeks on Nov. 1st. How is he shaping up?

So he is about 6 months old. I can't see his shanks in the picture very well, but from what I can see, I would like to see them thicker; his length of leg looks good. I can only judge from your picture, but his skull width looks a little thin. Both thinness in shanks and in skull in proportion to his overall body size at his age make me think he doesn't weigh what he should weigh. His body shape looks good but you pretty much have to be able to put your hands on him to properly evaluate the shape. From the photo, he has the square shape you want.

I would like to know his weight -- that tells me a lot. For some perspective, I have a cockerel I consider to be the best one I have had to date. He weighed 5 lbs at 16 weeks old and at 24 weeks was already 7 lbs 9 oz. I will be weighing him on Nov. 7 as he will be 7 mos old. This puts my cockerel on track for reaching 9 lbs and probably a little more at one year old. I find 7-8 months old, they seem to be at their prime.

More than anyone, I never judge plumage color by a photo. Depending on the lighting, they can appear darker or lighter than they will appear in real. I find that, by and large, around, Buckeye cockerel color is usually pretty good.

Chris​

With the talk about weight and etc. I got curious about my two Buckeye roosters so last night I weighed mine. They are good looking boys but have a little bit of black in there hackles. I need to get a picture posted. The biggest one is just a little bit bigger then his brother so I just weigned him he weighed 8.5 pounds and they are 6 months old. I guess they are going to be big boys. They have the most wonderful personality. They are the first chickens to run and greet me when I start walking out to the chicken house in the evening. I have some eggs hatching from them on 11/6.

Thanks for the input so far. I have some better pictures of his head, and comb, as well as another side shot. He doesn't have any black other than his tail. I tried to get a weight on him, which he hated;) He's 5 pounds plus. Not quite 6. He came from Meyer hatchery.

33190_chuck3.jpg

33190_chuck2.jpg

33190_chuck1.jpg

Let me know if you need any other poses. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom