Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Donnavee!
I feed cooked hamburg to my buckeyes. Other people feed different things for their birds. They really don't need the hamburg, just a higher protein food. Many feed a fish based catfood and have great luck. please don't let my insanity of cooking 'burg for the buckeyes deter you from getting any!! They are really no harder to keep than any other! I just need more to do:lol:!!
Ginny

donnavee: So do other Buckeye owners feed them differently?

For optimum growth (if you're showing your birds, growing them to put meat on the table), Buckeyes need a high protein feed ONLY about the first 8 weeks. That's all.

I don't cook anything for mine nor do I give them cat food or anything else. I feed Purina's Game Bird Chow -- Startena (30%) protein. A good turkey starter, like Game Bird feed, is also higher in protein. After the initial 8 weeks, I give a 19%.

I recommend for EVERYONE selecting & breeding chickens of any breed, not just Buckeyes, make sure that the birds are getting some percentage of the protein BE animal protein (not all the protein as some like to put words in my mouth). If you are just keeping Buckeyes or any breed for eggs and enjoyment (not breeding and not showing), then any feed will do.​

Don't worry about it Dave.

I sold 4 PRESALE egg orders on eBay and they DEMANDED the eggs when my girls were not in lay. We had one buyer that wanted weekly updates. I now have my auctions clearly marked NO REFUNDS until after May 1, 2011. Can't make them all happy. Let them buy from a hatchery. We will keep winning with your line of quality Buckeyes! That is, if your other customers will stay at home when we show! Every time this season we lost it was to a BuckeyeDave bird!

Side note: We did not attend the APA District Meet, but your birds there lost to a Pathfinder bird! Judge must have been blind or something.
lau.gif

Quote:
Yep, I don't mind giving refunds, this past year I have given more than I'd like to admit, last spring I thought for sure I was the reason the buckeye was endangered, I killed so darn many of them with incubator issues.... GAAAAAAAAAHAHHAAA!!! Now with a new Jamesway incubator and a healthy flock that is laying I should be able to perpetuate the buckeye well.

We cannot make everyone happy all of the time. Just giving our effort and keeping our eye on the buckeye and Nettie's whole reason for creating them is good enough for me. For the breed my man, for the breed.

Quote:
I hear she has some really sweet birds. I'd like to see her flock this spring/summer and pick up some of her stock.

well I am probably going to get buckeye bantams and breed them instead of the LF (so I can breed more birds in general) It was a tough fight over RIR bantams or buckeyes.
I will be staying here
big_smile.png

punky

one more thing could some one tell me more about the buckeye bantams and post pics? the battle with the RIR is not over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom