Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
No, not wild at all, just in a strange, new place and preferred to avoid human contact. Besides, "wild" is a relative term; I have Anconas, which some people refer to as being "pheasant-like". Personally, I think Anconas are just busy; but peacocks are wild.

Hi, I wondered if a few Buckeye people could chime in about how you have handled spur issues in breeding older Buckeye roosters. I started a separate thread, but thought I should bring it up here for those of you who are watching this topic.

I'm interested in hearing from Buckeye folk in particular: what you've done and what you deem necessary. I know there are already discussions out there about how to trim a spur... I'm more interested in hearing about your own, Buckeye-centric thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

Best - exop

I am planning on going to the NE Georgia Poultry Association Show this coming weekend in Jefferson, GA (January 15, 2011). I have not been to this show before. Hopefully, the snow will be melted enough on Friday for my trip. It is supposed to be at or near freezing through tomorrow but warm up in the low 40s on Friday.

I am entering three of my males. Bathed them this past Sunday, with the snow, the cold and taking care of everything, it has been a lot of work. I am also taking some juvenile Buckeye trios to sell. If anyone is going to be there, then look me up & introduce yourself. Anyone else going?

I'm sad today; my 21 year old Calif Kingsnake I've had for 20 years died last night.

Chris McCary

exop wrote: Hi, I wondered if a few Buckeye people could chime in about how you have handled spur issues in breeding older Buckeye roosters. I started a separate thread, but thought I should bring it up here for those of you who are watching this topic.

I'm interested in hearing from Buckeye folk in particular: what you've done and what you deem necessary. I know there are already discussions out there about how to trim a spur... I'm more interested in hearing about your own, Buckeye-centric thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

Best - exop

With old roosters, the spurs can get so long that the rooster really has difficulty walking. Roy (rnau) just took one of mine up to his place to breed with some pullets & he took one look at him & said,"his spurs need cutting off," (I agreed as I had not got around to it & I'd say they were about 2 inches long) and so I let him do the dirty work for me. You could mount one of those things on an end of a tomahawk. Maybe Roy will chime in and tell how he cut or how much he cut off that rooster. I've trimmed mine before and rounded them off but never cut the whole thing off like Roy. The old roosters don't seem to hurt the hens with their spurs; they seem to be more careful. Currently, I have a 2, 3 & 4 year old Buckeye rooster and 2 cockerels that will be a year old this Spring. I also have some juveniles I hatched in October but will only keep 1 or 2 of the cockerels (fortunately it looks like perhaps 15 of 24 of the juveniles are pullets). I like an extra male or 2 as they seem to always be needed.

Chris​

Last edited:
I useally just take a pair of pliers and twist the spur. The tip comes off and what is left is a shorter spur. It will be soft a few days and may bleed some. But in the end, the spur will harden and be shorter. This is best especially for show birds.

Quote:
I agree with this method because it is simple. If there is any bleeding use flour to stop. Another method is done with a rotozip using a cutoff blade. The heat will cauterize as you cut. This method is best done with 2 people to prevent an accident.
I personally do not like long spurs.

Have a Blessed day
Roy

I have not actually taken any spurs off my birds but thought I'd let y'all know that my oldest Ameraucana roo just recently de-spurred himself. His spurs were about 4" long and I never worried about it because he's just a big baby. We recently had some real cold weather and some snow. I was out in the rooster pen one day and noticed some blood on the ground. Not sure how he did it but he managed to pull the whole spur off one leg. A few days later I noticed the other one was gone. Found the spurs when I took the hose and washed the pen out. I kept 'em.

Anyways, Ulysses seems none for the worst so I don't imagine it would be that bad to twist one off.

Btw Roy, nice to see ya again!

God Bless,

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey Royce
Don't twist, just work them back and forth with a pair of pliers. The spurs will come loose, then pull like you would a tooth. The stem remaining will harden and grow again.

Have a Blessed Day
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom