Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Not dead, just really, really busy. Spring ya know.

wink.png

Spring.jpg

My question about broody hens comes from the other direction; How can I help induce broodiness in my Buckeyes? I bought three pullets from a guy mid-summer of 2010. Only one started laying. They spend most of their time free ranging, so I guessed the other two were laying somewhere else, but during a cold snowy period they chose not to go outside. I was still only getting 5 eggs per week. No tracks in the snow, so I know they didn't leave the coop.

Now, I know broodiness doesn't mean I'll get more eggs, but I do want to hatch some. We are off-grid, so incubators and brooder lights are not my best option. I'm hoping that buying some eggs to slip under a nesting hen would work ok. I don't expect 100%. Right now they don't seem to be interested in being mommas at all. Any suggestions? Would having a cock help bring out the maternal instinct ? ( as well as providing a few fertile eggs ! ) Since Chris hatches with his hens perhaps he may have a suggestion.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
Yellow,
I too, have only had buckeyes since last october. I got 3 pullets and 2 cockerels. The breeder assured me that someone should go broody during the coming summer. Others have said I'd need to wait until their second summer. I purchased an incubator for this spring and if sombody goes broody I may let her hatch some. I'm not much help, but have fun and good luck.

You might have to wiat until after they are a year old, but I had one go broody last year at 9 months old. She raised 7 chicks and was a very protective mother.

Hello all!
I am interested in purchasing some Buckeyes. Are there any breeders in the Northeastern Ohio area? Or anyone in the midwest who might ship eggs for hatching? Thank you all in advance for any help!

Are you looking for live birds, or hatching eggs. Many breeders are putting their incubators into high gear right now getting ready for spring but I suspect you can contact some of the contributors to this thread and find hatching eggs. Live birds might be a little harder to comeby. As a breeder, you dont want to get rid of your young birds until they are old enought to determine the quality of the bird for use in their own breeding programs. In other words, you might find really good birds that are being culled from a breeding flock because of a few minor flaws, but their best birds are probably not for sale. I have about 20+ young juveniles that are 12 wks old that I plan on picking thru in the next few wks, I'll probably only keep two or three and sell the rest. They will be pickup only in Western NC. I also plan on fireing up the incubators sometime in the next wk or two and start hatching eggs. Last year I hatched most of the eggs my hens laid and suspect I will do the same again this year, only selling eggs once my incubators are full.

Hey all you Buckeye people, Duane Urch just called me to say he has extra Buckeye chicks available right now to ship. Call him at (507) 451-6782. $6 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom