Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a toe Question. Has anyone else have buckeyes with toes that tilte over and lay over on the side. I have 2 little roos that do. Is this common? Is this a defect? Thanks John.

Gorgeous!
big_smile.png

My daughter won Reserve Champion Large Fowl with her Buckeye cock at the local fair. The competition wasn't super strong, and his tail feathers weren't at their best (August is a terrible month for showing poultry!), but it was still very cool. He had a cage right out front, and a lot of people stopped to admire him and read about the Buckeye breed.

This is a picture of him from last winter, when he was still a cockerel:
IMG_7399.jpg

Quote:
Frankly, I would go with now if that works for you. You really want them to be at least 6 months old for the fair, and the closer they are to a year the more competitive they will be. Housing and shipping baby chicks in January is always a bit more problematic than fall - which in my area is actually an ideal time to get them feathered before the cold weather hits. Our chickens usually look fantastic at about the 10 month mark.

I've had chickens adapt quickly to free ranging no matter what age they were when put out.

Quote:
You don't want them too old to show as cockerels and pullets. for some shows this means under a year, for some of the bigger shows later in the year, they want a bird hatched after January 1. So it depends on when you will be showing and which shows.

Quote:
You don't want them too old to show as cockerels and pullets. for some shows this means under a year, for some of the bigger shows later in the year, they want a bird hatched after January 1. So it depends on when you will be showing and which shows.

Sorry, Jen, but that doesn't make sense to me. Were they all APA/ABA shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom