Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, (sadly) we got out of our bantams this past summer. Economic necessity. My husband has been told that the newspaper printing plant where he works will be closing in Q4 of this year, and he and 200+ others will be out of work. We're hoping to stay in KY on our farm, but have been narrowing our focus and cutting back in light of this. So now all we have are large fowl Buckeyes (couldn't do without them!)

Oh that is sad Laura, hope all goes well for your family...times are tough, here in Lumber town as well..........Best wishes!
hugs.gif

Oh that is sad Laura, hope all goes well for your family...times are tough, here in Lumber town as well..........Best wishes!
hugs.gif

Thanks dear. It's been especially hard on my husband, he's been in the newspaper biz for over 40 years. He's 61, and we were hoping we could make it at his current job until retirement, but it is not to be. Ah well, life is an adventure when you're married to a newspaper guy, we've lived all over North America for his job, from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, to Janesville, WI, to Duluth, MN to northern KY. Never a dull moment! And each time we've had a change it's always resulted in something better, so I have faith the same thing will be true now. I love this farm, and want to stay here forever, so we're hoping he'll find something locally and we can stay and only his job will change.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Yep, I agree with nothing but Best Wishes for your family Laura. Good to hear you are hanging on to the LF Bucks! They truly are a nice breed.
bigz

I heard from the American Buckeye Poultry Club President, Chris McCary last night, that his cockerel won not only CH American, but CH Large Fowl at the NEGAPFA show in Jefferson, Georgia yesterday!

The overall winner of the show was an Old English bird (no surprise in the south!), but I am very pleased that a Buckeye went that far!

Congratulations to Chris, and thanks to the other club members who attended the show, good work everyone!

Laura

Congrats Chris!!!

Here is a picture taken Sunday of my Buckeye Cockerel that won BB, CH American & Champion Large Fowl at the NEGAPFA Show in Jefferson, GA this past weekend (and an ABPC Special Meet). The Buckeyes were very competitive. There were 18 Buckeyes shown (9 cockerels, 6 pullets, 2 hens and 1 cock) -- last year at the same show there were only my 3 Buckeyes -- what an improvement! This cockerel weighed exactly 8 lbs when I weighed him 1 week before the show. Just to demonstrate that size is not everything, I had two other cockerels in the show that topped 9 lbs.

The Judge at the show was Jim Adkins (NC) who breeds Buckeyes and other heritage breeds himself. He is an International Poultry Judge as well. I was very eager to see what he thought of my Buckeyes because he had never judged mine before. For this male, he wrote, "+TYPE" and "+HEAD" on the coop tag. I named him "Tuscaloosa" after the historical, 7 foot tall Chief Tuscaloosa of the Choctaw (aka as "Black Warrior") who encountered the Spanish explorer, De Soto, & his expedition in Alabama as well as the hometown of the Crimson Tide Football team (who of course, the same week, won the BCS Championship). I wanted to share with my friends here.

Chris McCary

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom