Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who are American Buckeye Poultry Club (ABPC) members, the next newsletter is going to be a real treat. The newsletter will feature a piece written by Don Schrider generally about the Buckeye breed- it comes from discussions some of us collectively have had with him recently. It is a different take on the breed generally & includes his observations of the differences in the strains/lines. Stay tuned for more to come throughout the year.

Can't wait!

The last newsletter had exciting club news. I'm looking forward to our new artwork, and love the artist that was chosen.

Marci

I have 3 Buckeye chicks that I hatched at Thanksgiving, making them about 9 weeks now. Anyone good at sexing them this early? I planning my spring order and only have so much room..

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Oh I was going to feather sex them when they hatched, but next to the chicks are two RIR which I thought were both female, but it turned out only one was a female.

caf.gif

Quote:
If I had to guess and that would be what it is, a "good guess," then the three look like pullets to me. It is difficult at 9 weeks to tell sometimes, and I have been fooled. They still have their juvenile feathers. Chicks go through about 7 sets of juvenile feathers before putting on their adult plumage.

Your pictures are washed with lots of light so their combs may appear lighter in the picture than they are in person. At that age, I can sometimes tell by a combination of things: (1) their weight will sometimes give their sex away if you are feeding them correct nutrition & (2) the cockerels will have brighter (i.e. more red) combs compared to the pullets. The shanks of the males will also usually be comparatively thicker (again though, provided you have been feeding them a high protein starter and keeping them well fed).

However, if they are all three pullets then you have no males to compare combs and shanks. I had that problem one time when I had 7 hatch and all were pullets.

Took this picture last week, they were 12 wks at the time. You can see the difference in combs. This might help you compare in a couple more weeks. Most of mine are pretty obvious when cockerel, but a couple I am still guessing.

Thanks everyone. Yep, I'm feeding them the high protein food, & with the help of my husband, we just made a 5 gallon feeder for the coop. They are definitely fatter then most other chicks I've had at that age. Stuck In the Coop, those are two beautiful birds.

Took this picture last week, they were 12 wks at the time.  You can see the difference in combs.  This might help you compare in a couple more weeks.  Most of mine are pretty obvious when cockerel, but a couple I am still guessing. 

Great photo and example of combs. It's quite difficult to tell at such a young age with pea combs. Patience is key in flora, fauna, and poultry! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom