Buckeye Day old chicks from Heritage Lines

Hi, they stem back to the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy line blended with 2 other breeder lines. But highest % ALBC Thanks!

This is the first I have heard of the Buckeye Chicken. What is their temperament like? Are good layers? How are they at foraging (as I prefer my birds to be free range)?

I tried to send a PM to purchasing info, but the server was not allowing it at the moment, so I can try again later.
Although I haven't ordered Buckeye chicks from Travis (tempted though:) I just wanted to pipe up about the wonderful Buckeye breed--I have both hatchery hens and hens from a breeder, love them all! Very smart, sociable and personable--mine are fine when in their coop/run and love to be out in the yard, 'helping' with my gardening. And they are beautiful! Also, since I'm from the Buckeye State I'd have to add they are the American chicken breed developed by a woman in the late 1800's...an Ohioan named Nettie Metcalf (sp?), who wanted a good, pretty, calm, dual purpose bird (meat and eggs), with a very small comb/wattles to prevent frostbite in the cold Ohio winters. She was successful!

Travis, your birds are beautiful! Next time...sigh....(have 20 chicks coming next week..no Buckeyes this time)

I am still drooling over your birds.. as soon as I have room in the bator I will be bugging you for hatching eggs!
big_smile.png

Thank you! I should be able to send some to Texas by June or so. I will finally have my AI clean status by then....

Wow! That is great news! I will contact the State Vet there this week and see what they say. I may have to be AI certified and will be in June but thanks for the information and I will check it out.. Travis

Don't thinkVA is closed any longer. Interested in purchasing chicks. [email protected]

Wow! That is great news! I will contact the State Vet there this week and see what they say. I may have to be AI certified and will be in June but thanks for the information and I will check it out.. Travis

yeah.. apparently they have changed some regs.. I noticed a note on cackle hatchery's site: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/popup.htm
"Virginia: Virginia has changed its regulations and we CAN NOW SHIP to the Commonwealth of Virginia."

so congrats all you guys who live there!

Back
Top Bottom