Buckeye Hen Suspected Sour Crop Has Green Runny Poop

A lot depends on what's going on.

Sometimes an antibiotic can help offer some relief. If there's fluid in the abdomen, draining can offer some relief. There's no cures for reproductive problems, just supportive care.
Would they need special treatment for the rest of their life with the reproductive issue? I do not know much, if anything, about reproductive issues in hens.

04/20/24 Sick Chicken Update.

I have been feeding my buckeye hen some chick feed when she is wilking to eat and I have also been giving her water with vitamins (poly-vi-sol). I just gave her some fresh water with Vet-R-X in it.

This morning when I picked her up to clean her quarantine cage, she threw up so I induced vomiting (I have done it many times with no problems, I am extremely careful.) What came out was milo, corn, and some small bits of plant. She hasn't eaten any of that since she came inside and I hadn't given my chickens plants for a few days before I took her inside. The smell was foul, which shows sour crop.

The only good news I have with her situation is that she made a slight fuss about being held.

In the small time I held her, she dropped at least 10 feathers. Does anyone know why she would do that? Is it a sign of her getting worse?

The first picture is of the hen after I sat her in the cage this morning. The second is of most of the feathers she dropped.

Attachments

• 20240420_111026.jpg
    20240420_111026.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240420_110951.jpg
    20240420_110951.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 5
Dropping feathers can sometimes be stress induced.

Is she in that bad of shape or is she being picked on that she needs to be quarantined?

I usually leave my hens with their flock so they can live as normally as possible while I treat them.

In the photo she doesn't look too bad. If her crop is not emptying, then focus on getting that cleared according to the article posted previously. Let her eat/drink as normal.

Dropping feathers can sometimes be stress induced.

Is she in that bad of shape or is she being picked on that she needs to be quarantined?

I usually leave my hens with their flock so they can live as normally as possible while I treat them.

In the photo she doesn't look too bad. If her crop is not emptying, then focus on getting that cleared according to the article posted previously. Let her eat/drink as normal.
She is alone. I tried to keep her with the others but she just got worse. She held on for a while and then one day I went out and she was not herself at all. She didn't want to eat, drink, or move. I am trying to get her back to being more like herself before I allow her back outside.

I have tried oil, massaging, vomiting, and holding food for 24 hours. She still has the problem.

The thing is that she does not feel too skinny, so she has to be absorbing at least some of the food's nutrients.

Try bringing another chicken in with her, and put down some straw so they can sort through it. Her mate might perk her up, I've seen it myself. I've been through this before a couple times. Be careful with inducing vomiting. I've not done that purposefully, but I have had a chicken choke to death on fluid that had backed up from her crop. There's more to the story, but not enough to give you any better advice and I don't want to steer you wrong. Mine were Buckeyes too.

Try bringing another chicken in with her, and put down some straw so they can sort through it. Her mate might perk her up, I've seen it myself. I've been through this before a couple times. Be careful with inducing vomiting. I've not done that purposefully, but I have had a chicken choke to death on fluid that had backed up from her crop. There's more to the story, but not enough to give you any better advice and I don't want to steer you wrong. Mine were Buckeyes too.
I am worried that my buckeyes have bad genetics. I got them from TSC and 3/4 have or had issues. I actually bought 6 at the time and 2 died from an unknown issue a couple days after we got them. I still do not know what it was.

One of my roosters has a bum foot for no reason I can find, I checked for bumblefoot, mites, any breaks or swelling, everything seems normal.

My other rooster died from a breathing issue even after being cared for and given Vet-R-X multiple times a day.

And this hen has been sick for a long time.

I will try to bring another chicken in with her and see how it goes. I will keep a close eye on her and the other chicken.

She is alone. I tried to keep her with the others but she just got worse. She held on for a while and then one day I went out and she was not herself at all. She didn't want to eat, drink, or move. I am trying to get her back to being more like herself before I allow her back outside.

I have tried oil, massaging, vomiting, and holding food for 24 hours. She still has the problem.

The thing is that she does not feel too skinny, so she has to be absorbing at least some of the food's nutrients.
If she already has sour crop, these treatments are not enough. You need at least to give her Miconazole to treat the yeast. If you know how to tube feed, please start epsom salt flushing right away. Always give her probiotics and add apple cider vinegar in her water everyday.

I currently have a hen with slow crop for 4 weeks, and her crop finally gets almost flat last a few days. I gave her Miconazole first with coconut oil and massaging, didn't work. So I start epsom salt flushing followed by acidified copper sulfate treatments. Still didn't work. Molasse flush. Didn't work. Tried stool softener (Docusate Sodium 100 mg), then her crop start getting smaller. Restarted epsom salt flushing followed by acidified copper sulfate. This morning, her crop was almost flat with very few fluid in it. I think it will go back to normal soon. She's only allowed to eat baby chick feed and wears a chicken bra this whole time. And she gets coconut oil (or olive oil), probiotics, apple cider vinegar, and massaging every day. I don't know what really helped, but it took really a long time before I saw any improvement. By the way, I know my hen doesn't have reproductive issues, since she laid eggs the first weeks of treatments and last two days. Good luck with your treatments! Hope your girl getting better too.

Last edited:
If she already has sour crop, these treatments are not enough. You need at least to give her Miconazole to treat the yeast. If you know how to tube feed, please start epsom salt flushing right away. Always give her probiotics and add apple cider vinegar in her water everyday.

I currently have a hen with slow crop for 4 weeks, and her crop finally gets almost flat last a few days. I gave her Miconazole first with coconut oil and massaging, didn't work. So I start epsom salt flushing followed by acidified copper sulfate treatments. Still didn't work. Molasse flush. Didn't work. Tried stool softener (Docusate Sodium 100 mg), then her crop start getting smaller. Restarted epsom salt flushing followed by acidified copper sulfate. This morning, her crop was almost flat with very few fluid in it. I think it will go back to normal soon. She's only allowed to eat baby chick feed and wears a chicken bra this whole time. And she gets coconut oil (or olive oil), probiotics, apple cider vinegar, and massaging every day. I don't know what really helped, but it took really a long time before I saw any improvement. By the way, I know my hen doesn't have reproductive issues, since she laid eggs the first weeks of treatments and last two days. Good luck with your treatments! Hope your girl getting better too.
She does seem to be perking up a little. Her tail isn't as down as it was when I brought her in, I will most likely be doing an update on her soon!

Thank you for all of those tips! Would shortening work in replacement for the coconut oil?

Where can I get some Miconazole and the Stool Softener? Any specific brand of stool softener recommended?

I do not know how to tube feed but I know how to syringe feed, will that work?

Her crop is not big enough to need a crop bra. Her crop stays very small but it is still squishy.

I am happy your hen is getting better!

Back
Top Bottom