Buckeye or Red?

My first little flock was four hens, including an RIR. Ginger Rogers wasn't overly aggressive; in fact, she was submissive to the Buff Orpington, got along fine with the Barred Rock and didn't even bully the little Sicilian Buttercup. Ginger was a great layer, stood up well to winter -- and was quite the dancer!

Sounds like you got a good girl, too.

I know this post is older, but I just got a batch of ten buckeye chicks, and they are anything but docile! They are curious, rambuncious and into everything...even at a week old. We actually got them because on the Livestock Conservation website, it said they will go after mice!
The reason she may look like a buckeye, is that genetically speaking, they share some ancestry. They look like chicken cousins, the comb (which someone mentioned) and a darker plumage really make them standout when seen next to each other.
(I know it's named for the state of Ohio, but I like thinking it's for the color of the buckeye nut, a dark red color!)
Have fun with your bird, maybe you could get a Buckeye in the future, and compare!

I have a trio of Buckeyes in an upstairs brooder. I agree with your assessment of their personalities. I bought them as soon as they arrived at the farm store, and they are 3 weeks old now.

However, while they are very brave babies in the brooder, when we had a 75-degree day recently (and there was Only One; we are back in the 30s), they got very clingy during their first outdoor field trip. I was planning to leave them in the wire dog crate I keep for just such occasions But, I couldn't close the door because three very outgoing indoor girls suddenly all wanted to perch on my arm!

I know this post is older, but I just got a batch of ten buckeye chicks, and they are anything but docile! They are curious, rambuncious and into everything...even at a week old. We actually got them because on the Livestock Conservation website, it said they will go after mice!
The reason she may look like a buckeye, is that genetically speaking, they share some ancestry. They look like chicken cousins, the comb (which someone mentioned) and a darker plumage really make them standout when seen next to each other.
(I know it's named for the state of Ohio, but I like thinking it's for the color of the buckeye nut, a dark red color!)
Have fun with your bird, maybe you could get a Buckeye in the future, and compare!

I use to raise Buckeyes and they will go after mice. If a mouse went into their pen it never made it out.

Its kinda comical to watch them chase a mouse. Then they chase whoever has the mouse. Then they will "share" the mouse or somebody will try to choke it down whole lol.

Usually they can, especially if the rooster got it. Sometime I had to take it away if it was a really big one.
I have to ask, how did you catch the chickens to take it away? I've witnessed the chase and grab antics, and when they want something, they're quick!!

Back
Top Bottom