Buckling down and backwards building ccop

Well and sure enough have spent the past month being thoroughly turned about by the PTWoods colony house.

Still have no technical skills and not setting aside enough time, but if you look at it with your glasses off, it kinda works.
PXL_20220703_201727856.MP.jpg

I keep getting sun scorched and I am mighty sick of going to Lowes and also I now kinda want a truck.

The final dither of the weekend is roofing. I really wanted to try and reuse some bits of the shed built in the bog. Door is too heavy and wide (and clearly salvaged because quality not something prior owners trended towards.) So we grabbed a skinny thrift door. Not especially exterior grade but we should be able to work with it.
Beams all insect bored, so nothing much there. Maybe some pieces and large side panels for interior details.

The plastic roof is stumping me. I'm sure it is the cheap stuff and cracked. I could do the front shed with just one additional piece tho. (My overhangs are not the greatest, oh well)
However I am seeing no great consensus on roofing pros/cons for 5b. Racoons might bite through plastic? Plastic Metal might condense in my roosting shed?
Really trying to avoid plywood for weight/height and generally remaining injury free as well as $aving it for side paneling.

Didn't settle on any windows but did visit the architect salvage store finally, which was neat. Feel confident that we'll be able to pick a pair (or two) unless there was a huge run today. All this talk of jalousie has me eyeing functioning shutters.

If I can make up my mind, should be able to rent a truck mid week and get hauling to finish up (hahaha) next weekend.

Played with salvaged panels last night and poked at things.
Hate the door we found so much. 3rd times the charm and might just pass on the thrift and go straight to architecture store.

Going to skip monitor windows for now and just bolt in some hardware cloth remnants that have been picked up. Everyone was hot hanging around outside yesterday.

Wondering if found coated wire is still not robust enough for scratch shed front/sides For some reason nobody has the length/width gage I want for hardware cloth in stock.

Leaning towards giving up on trying to salvage cheap used roof panels and maybe just fling money at all new matched panels for sanity. The prospect of roofing is clearly unnerving us more than spending at this point.

The last of the roof panels arrived today!
Doing 3 different shades and grades of SunTuf panels. Got 90% of the purlins in by moonrise last night.
Will be doing opaque for the scratch shed and a mix of 25/35% transmission in the back.
Guess that means we are roofing this weekend. Glad the shipping estimate was off by a week.

Alas the door situation remains

Also our preferred hardware store's board cutter is defunct, which is putting the brakes on the wall situation without renting a truck. Actual boards I think we are done with and can bluff whatever gaps remain with scraps and pallet pieces.
It will not be a pretty and trim coop. Artisanal! Escher-esque?

It is interesting to see them interact with their intended environment and has me thinking of next projects and changes.

How much of an overhang did you go with? I have a 4x8 coop and the roof is 4x8 with 2' of overhang on each side and it looks a little funny with a bunch of material hanging off. contemplating cutting down the sides to make it less overhang

How much of an overhang did you go with? I have a 4x8 coop and the roof is 4x8 with 2' of overhang on each side and it looks a little funny with a bunch of material hanging off. contemplating cutting down the sides to make it less overhang

Don't take off any overhang until you've lived with it long enough and in enough different weathers to really know if you can live without it.

It's a great blessing to be able to walk along the side of your coop and gather eggs, etc. without having to stand in the rain.

Don't take off any overhang until you've lived with it long enough and in enough different weathers to really know if you can live without it.

It's a great blessing to be able to walk along the side of your coop and gather eggs, etc. without having to stand in the rain.
True, ill take function over looks. It might look funny but offers more protection. Another worry have though it with the excess surface space it could collect more snow on top of it. Guess ill have to just see how she does.

The back has a ridiculous overhang because we just left the 10ft boards intact. The panels should extend at least a foot.
The front should be similar, but with less support.

Suspect we'll be sol for the sides.
They did really well yesterday with a few panels of the salvaged shed roof tossed up on a bed in the fence to make a little dry patch.
Could see trying to make little side patios, especially on the run, but for the fiber glass is really in gross shape.
(Also my spouse plotzed when he caught me adjusting some of the slack in the bog side of the fence to give the girls access to some slug infested logs and a crabapple branch lipped away from monitor. Something about one project at a time.)

Back
Top Bottom