Buddha Belly!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pascal PicklePants, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    First time hatcher....some of you have been dealing with me and answering my silly questions for ages........so here's another:

My first little Ameraucana hatched this afternoon [​IMG]

Do they always have little round Buddha bellies?? Everything else looks good, no yolk sac left over, no blood......he is a day early however, so just checkin.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    The budda belly is where the yolk sak went. [​IMG]

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    yep... Once it fluffs out, you won't hardly notice but, that yolk is a lot for their little bellies and they look like they are about to burst.. LOL

Goddess [​IMG]

4. Pascal PicklePants

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.

Looks like this one has a name already....is it too obvious? BUDDHA!

5. Pascal PicklePants

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    [​IMG]

Here's Buddha.
    Also, his right wing is stuck to the shell. Will he get that off himself?

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, he's out now, and his wing is stuck due to dry membrane, so I would get some very warm water, some Q-Tips, snatch him out and dampen the membrane to release him, then put him right back into the 'bator.

But that's just me.

7. Pascal PicklePants

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Thanks Gryeyes,
    Did that, came off real easy, no problems. Incubator is in the bathroom, so crank shower, steam mirror...no dramas.
    He's just sort of laying there trying to stand up. Anyone know how long that usually takes?

8. gryeyes

He can live off that belly for 3 days, so there is NO hurry. I'd leave him in the 'bator for at least 24 hours. Within that time, a major transformation will take place and it will fluff up and become very mobile. So don't sweat the amount of resting time. [​IMG]

9. Pascal PicklePants

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Thanks,

I know, i'm being unreasonably impatient,,,,i like to think it's part of my charm. it's just that this being my first hatch ever, i'm sort of waiting for everything to go wrong...probably not the best emotional energy to be exuding [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

I was the same way with my first hatch. Absolutely positive nothing would hatch, or some would hatch then die, peeping miserably as they expired because of something stupid I did.

After several hatches, I am still thrilled if ANYTHING hatches, no matter how many eggs were set. I have 3 hatchlings in one 'bator right now, and am an anxious mom about 'em, not even caring about the other 13 eggs at this point. (Not really, but if they do NOT hatch, I will still have 3 that did!)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by