Buddha Belly!!

Pascal PicklePants

Songster
9 Years
Oct 21, 2010
Boise, ID
First time hatcher....some of you have been dealing with me and answering my silly questions for ages........so here's another:

My first little Ameraucana hatched this afternoon
jumpy.gif

Do they always have little round Buddha bellies?? Everything else looks good, no yolk sac left over, no blood......he is a day early however, so just checkin.

yep... Once it fluffs out, you won't hardly notice but, that yolk is a lot for their little bellies and they look like they are about to burst.. LOL

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Well, he's out now, and his wing is stuck due to dry membrane, so I would get some very warm water, some Q-Tips, snatch him out and dampen the membrane to release him, then put him right back into the 'bator.

But that's just me.

Thanks Gryeyes,
Did that, came off real easy, no problems. Incubator is in the bathroom, so crank shower, steam mirror...no dramas.
He's just sort of laying there trying to stand up. Anyone know how long that usually takes?

He can live off that belly for 3 days, so there is NO hurry. I'd leave him in the 'bator for at least 24 hours. Within that time, a major transformation will take place and it will fluff up and become very mobile. So don't sweat the amount of resting time.
smile.png

Thanks,

I know, i'm being unreasonably impatient,,,,i like to think it's part of my charm. it's just that this being my first hatch ever, i'm sort of waiting for everything to go wrong...probably not the best emotional energy to be exuding
hide.gif

I was the same way with my first hatch. Absolutely positive nothing would hatch, or some would hatch then die, peeping miserably as they expired because of something stupid I did.

After several hatches, I am still thrilled if ANYTHING hatches, no matter how many eggs were set. I have 3 hatchlings in one 'bator right now, and am an anxious mom about 'em, not even caring about the other 13 eggs at this point. (Not really, but if they do NOT hatch, I will still have 3 that did!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom