Budgie mating with cockatiel!?!

They shouldn't be able to. After my female budgie died, I was wondering if I could cross my male budgie and female cockatiel. After research, it looked like I couldn't. But there have been other things discovered this way before. In pythons, they said a ball python and a green tree python couldn't reproduce with each other, yet today we have a ball/green tree hybrid. So I say if she lays any eggs, then try to hatch them!

They shouldn't be able to. After my female budgie died, I was wondering if I could cross my male budgie and female cockatiel. After research, it looked like I couldn't. But there have been other things discovered this way before. In pythons, they said a ball python and a green tree python couldn't reproduce with each other, yet today we have a ball/green tree hybrid. So I say if she lays any eggs, then try to hatch them!
Ok! I'm getting a nest box for her and her mate and I will see if any hatch

Highly doubtful.
The snake example cannot be compared to this pair because even though they are separate species they still belong to the same taxonomic family. There are parrot hybrids from similar, Hahn's macaw X Sun conure, both species have the same taxonomic family, Psittacidae.
Budgies and cockatiels do not. Budgies - Psittaculidae. Cockatiels - Cacatuidae.

If by some miracle a fertile egg appeared, no I don't agree you should hatch it. In what way can you guarantee this hybrid would be healthy? If it does hatch how will you know it won't die from some deformity? Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Highly doubtful.
The snake example cannot be compared to this pair because even though they are separate species they still belong to the same taxonomic family. There are parrot hybrids from similar, Hahn's macaw X Sun conure, both species have the same taxonomic family, Psittacidae.
Budgies and cockatiels do not. Budgies - Psittaculidae. Cockatiels - Cacatuidae.

If by some miracle a fertile egg appeared, no I don't agree you should hatch it. In what way can you guarantee this hybrid would be healthy? If it does hatch how will you know it won't die from some deformity? Not worth the risk in my opinion.
True true, the only cockatiel type hyprid I've heard of is a galatiel a cross of a cockatiel and galah cockatoo. The only budgie hyprid I know of is the love budgie, that is a budgie and lovebird hyprid. Lucy (the cockatiel) has her own mate that I have seen her mating with, however I don't have a nest box for them yet. I definitely do plan on breeding them and hand rearing their chicks. However if a hyprid chick was to result I would possibly need to cull it, as sad as it is.

True true, the only cockatiel type hyprid I've heard of is a galatiel a cross of a cockatiel and galah cockatoo.
A cockatiel is technically a cockatoo, so yes hybrids with them are possible.
The only budgie hyprid I know of is the love budgie, that is a budgie and lovebird hyprid.
I've yet to actually see evidence of this hybrid, though I think they would be more plausible then a budgie x cockatiel.

A cockatiel is technically a cockatoo, so yes hybrids with them are possible.

I've yet to actually see evidence of this hybrid, though I think they would be more plausible then a budgie x cockatiel.
Well, cockatiels are actually not related to cockatoos and saying that they are technically the same thing is false. They are in their own genus, however cockatoos belong to their own genus. However they do share many characteristics which could be part of why they are known to breed, resulting in a hyprid.

This is a chart of what the hyprid would look like.
d58k613-b54d144f-0895-45e3-b878-ea9e3b88923a.jpg

Well, cockatiels are actually not related to cockatoos and saying that they are technically the same thing is false. They are in their own genus, however cockatoos belong to their own genus. However they do share many characteristics which could be part of why they are known to breed, resulting in a hyprid.
I did not say they're the same. I said hybrid within a family are much more likely and possible, take Macaw hybrids for example. Cockatiels are apart of the Cacatuidae (cockatoo) family, but yes do still have they own genus. Galahs have different genus to white cockatoos, as do some of the black cockatoos. All are still cockatoos :)

I did not say they're the same. I said hybrid within a family are much more likely and possible, take Macaw hybrids for example. Cockatiels are apart of the Cacatuidae (cockatoo) family, but yes do still have they own genus. Galahs have different genus to white cockatoos, as do some of the black cockatoos. All are still cockatoos :)
Ok, sorry I thought that you meant that they were the same thing. sometimes people show me two photos of budgerigars and say "this one is a budgie and this one is a parakeet" and I have to explain why and how these are literally the same thing. Or people saying that budgies don't exist and it's people saying that any small parrot is a parakeet and when I tell them "what about lovebirds" they go "No, that's a parakeet" and I have to explain how they have a completely different genus and ate different species. When I eventually get a job I want to become a ornithologist/biologist so I can continue to study animals and birds! But sometimes people try to tell me "you can't do that" or "you'll never be able to do that if you have ADHD" but I love talking to other people here because I can talk to people about this kind of science things and about birds!

Back
Top Bottom