Budgie Mutations 101

. Do you know if the same sort of genetics are what make chickens laced? It almost looks like the Spangles are laced budgies.
I realize this is a few months old but I came across this and never saw anyone answer it.

It is completely different, though the phenotype is similar.

Many genes are required to get the clean single lacing you see in birds like Wyandottes.

Partridge (p^b), Pattern Gene (Pg), Melanotic (Ml), and Columbian (Co).

Penciled is the result of carrying the dominant restrictor gene Pg (pattern gene) which restricts the eumelanin (black pigment) to lacing around the feather. The edge of a penciled feather is always the base color of the bird, instead of black like double laced.

Notice the double laced has a black edge, while the penciling has a silver edge, the base color of the bird.

E98B4E77-1198-4340-9BFC-2F284BCE9718.jpeg

When you add the Ml gene (Melanotic), a eumelanin (black pigment) intensifier gene it intensifies the black pigment to wider laces, and also shifts the location so the edge of the feather will always be black. This is double lacing.

And if we were to want to achieve single lacing we would add the Co gene (columbian) which would push the black pigment further to the edge of the feather resulting in a single lace outlining the edge.

@zoohatism I have a budgie genetics question.

What's the difference between yellow face type one and type two? What about golden face? Are all three seperate genes? And in type two, I think it Said that homozygous has less yellow than when it's heterozygous? How do that work? One gene adds it then the next dilutes the first? I'd get how it would work on a wildtype, but I'm not understanding how it works like that on a blue base?

What's the difference between yellow face type one and type two? What about golden face? Are all three seperate genes? And in type two, I think it Said that homozygous has less yellow than when it's heterozygous? How do that work? One gene adds it then the next dilutes the first? I'd get how it would work on a wildtype, but I'm not understanding how it works like that on a blue base?
https://www.budgie-bubble.co.uk/about

http://www.cutelittlebirdiesaviary.com/yellowface-i-yellowface-ii-and-goldenface.html

Hey, sorry for the late reply, I was busy studying for exams (hate it rn) But anyways, let's answer your question.

The name, yellowface is straight up misleading. You should think of it as yellowless face perhaps. So the yellowface type 1, type 2 and goldenface are related mutations which have different strengths. Goldenface is the most strong and the type 1 yellowface is the least. For example, let's say the single factor yf t1 has the yellow color to its head only (level 1). Then the sf yf t2 has the yellow spread into its body a bit (level 2). Then the sf goldenface has the yellow spread to the whole body (level 3). This is the gist of the mutation basically, also this was an example and isn't always true but generally this is how it works like. Now, the double factors of these mutations have the levels one step back. Df yf t1 has little to no yellow. Df yf t2 has yellow to its head only (level 1). And df goldenface has the yellow spread to some parts on its body, not the whole (level 2). So yes, the heterozygous yf and gf adds yellow while the homozygous yf and gf cuts back on the yellow. And if you get this part, you should be able to understand it for a blue base too! sf yf t1 blue based is a blue budgie w a yellow head, sf yf t2 is a budgie w a yellow head, some green on its body (yellow+blue=green) and some blue too. sf gf is a totally green budgie/mostly green budgie w some blue markings at the tail/vent area. And same goes for the df budgies! The Yellowface mutation is a constituent of a rainbow budgie too and I think it's really pretty! Also the yf and gf gene in a wild type budgie cant be seen, it can only be seen in their children. You can search up "rainbow budgies" and see how the gf and yf genes affect a budgie (all rainbow budgies are blue based). And sorry for the terrible description, I tried to paraphrase as its like 2am now and I have to go sleep.

Yf - Yellowface
Gf - Goldenface
T1- type 1
T2- type 2
w - with

P.S. This was a huge simplification for the gist of it, the actual mutation is so bad (genetically) even I don't get it properly

@ZooI know the pics suck, but I got a pair of budgies today. I was wondering if you thought the blue one appeared to have the opaline mutation? The black pigment on the neck hasnt been completely cut off, however when compaired ti the green one the barring is very much reduced.

20221003_170827.jpg
20221003_181401.jpg

Back
Top Bottom