Budgie nest killing

So I do know if a parakeets cere is not dark brown thwy are not ready to care for young.. I love parakeets though I haven't had any since I was a kid.. I did a little reading and everyone is saying their cere turns a darker brown when ready.. Maybe that means the parakeet is like a chicken and must go "broody". Maybe they just aren't ready. I would hold of on breeding for a minute and watch those ceres. When you have a parakeets cere go darker brown; try with her again.. Some of the stories were heartbreaking. Some of them killed the father for trying to protect the young!! If you really want to get the show on the road you may have to incubate and brood..

I use to breed parakeets for many years and they don’t do well in aviarys for breeding. I would keep the main flock in a aviary and separate out the breeding pairs in a cage linked below https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-finch-rectangle-flight-cage.

Also, it’s correct that the females cera has to dark brown and the males should be bright blue. When they are in breeding season. They should also be at least a year old.

Hope that helps.

So I do know if a parakeets cere is not dark brown thwy are not ready to care for young.. I love parakeets though I haven't had any since I was a kid.. I did a little reading and everyone is saying their cere turns a darker brown when ready.. Maybe that means the parakeet is like a chicken and must go "broody". Maybe they just aren't ready. I would hold of on breeding for a minute and watch those ceres. When you have a parakeets cere go darker brown; try with her again.. Some of the stories were heartbreaking. Some of them killed the father for trying to protect the young!! If you really want to get the show on the road you may have to incubate and brood..
It’s not the parents it’s other budgies fighting for nests

I use to breed parakeets for many years and they don’t do well in aviarys for breeding. I would keep the main flock in a aviary and separate out the breeding pairs in a cage linked below https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-finch-rectangle-flight-cage.

Also, it’s correct that the females cera has to dark brown and the males should be bright blue. When they are in breeding season. They should also be at least a year old.

Hope that helps.
I have been doing that but I have a rescue cockatoo that it now taking up the room we’re I put the breeding cages in.

G’day I’m a budgie breeder and I’m have problems with breeding them in my aviary.
It’s is big enough to hold double the amount I have in there but the budgies are still killing chicks.
Should I add double the amount of best boxes of should I give up on aviary breeding?

Thanks for your time, JD’s Aviaries

https://jonassaviary.godaddysites.com/
if they are fighting over nesting boxes, i would re-evaluate the number and size access to the boxes compared to the number of budgies you have. I ended up with 2 males and 1 female :thin my aviary with my finches. they just hatched 5 babies that are now about a month old and all but 1 baby is out of the nest......one male (who was most like the daddy) has been slightly aggressive with the chick once they’ve left the nest but otherwise they have integrated well. this same aggressive male has killed all my finch babies, 1 button quail, and my diamond dove pair so he is on the short list but overall fine with the budgie chicks.

Back
Top Bottom