Buff Brahma a rooster?

Elgorham

Chirping
Jun 12, 2020
Hi everyone. It’s been confirmed that our barred rock Penelope is a rooster. They are about 9 weeks. We have 3 buff Brahma as well and there is one who often is fighting with Penelope. Her/his name is Charlotte, eh, Charlie? 😂 the one in question has overtaken the other two Brahmas in growth and has a very red and larger pea comb than the other two as well as red around its eyes. It’s coloring also looks different to me, the hacker feathers on the hens look like a collar of dark grey and on this one the grey seems to be spreading down the back which seems consistent with the roosters of that breed. First time chicken owner, my husband got 6 bantam chicks for my birthday in April. There is another I believe is a black star but not absolutely sure, holly, and her tail feathers are starting to curl downward. I will attach photos. So to sum up, we have 6 bantam chickens, one confirmed roo, one is very likely to be, and holly the black one is more undecided. If anyone can clarify I’d be grateful! Our coop is an 8 ft stand up coop with a roost over run style, about 5 feet long. We’re having it delivered this week. I’m nervous about disrupting things by removing roosters. Should we keep even one rooster if we don’t have space for more baby chicks and Are vegetarian? I also worry about ensuring good life for the rooster/s. Ohh man the decisions. Overall want to do what’s best for the chickens in the long run and what works for our set up. Thank you!!
C70CAAEA-E9C5-42B7-BCB7-8829705FAD2E.jpeg
54D90610-8268-48D4-BD29-88250C01DF23.jpeg
C70CAAEA-E9C5-42B7-BCB7-8829705FAD2E.jpeg
54D90610-8268-48D4-BD29-88250C01DF23.jpeg
0AA13A55-58C1-4EF4-88A0-0E8CD8C1476C.jpeg
25259DE0-3E97-4C95-9F78-E8B24480FEEB.jpeg
569F7F40-A17A-44CE-8435-ECA42A494726.jpeg

Brahma does look like a lad.
The eggs won't hatch unless you incubate them, or a hen sits on them. As long as you keep checking to make sure a hen doesn't hatch any (and you will notice) you won't have to worry about that.
As long as he's acting nice, and you want him, I don't see any other reason to get rid of him, provided you are allowed to in your area.

Thank you for the advice! Is pecking at the others to be expected? I don’t really know what is nice and what’s not. He asserts himself and luffa his neck feathers up, more assertive than the barred rock rooster. And if there is more than one rooster for 6 hens?

So many people have told me it depends on the space a lot. And I agree.
My roosters don't peck the hens at all, unless they are mating.
It's possible they will fight for dominance.... The reason I tend to keep my roosters separate. They still escape and fight with wire between.

Back
Top Bottom