Buff Brahma genetic inquiry.

CrazyCochin

~Crazy~
May 21, 2019
Washington State, aka The pacific NorthWest
Our large fowl Buff Brahma rooster is a beautiful specimen, but the one detail I noticed is that he has a couple of black & white tail feathers. And the son of him, (Red Bantam Cochin X LF Buff Brahma) has this as well. So I am curious as to why a Buff Brahma would have white amongst their black feathers.
This is a picture of the offspring’s tail feathers, which are exactly like his father’s:
7C2A1454-DBEC-44F9-A415-4539A170539E.jpeg

Thank you in advance to all who reply! 😊

Our large fowl Buff Brahma rooster is a beautiful specimen, but the one detail I noticed is that he has a couple of black & white tail feathers. And the son of him, (Red Bantam Cochin X LF Buff Brahma) has this as well. So I am curious as to why a Buff Brahma would have white amongst their black feathers.
This is a picture of the offspring’s tail feathers, which are exactly like his father’s: View attachment 2871815
Thank you in advance to all who reply! 😊
I suck with genetics, but @NatJ, @MysteryChicken, and @JacinLarkwell are great with them...
That's alright, I don't do too well with them either. Thank you!

Buff brahmas are actually buff columbian, the columbian gene restricts pigment everywhere except the hackles and tail, which is why he has the black tail feathers.

I don't see the white you are talking about.

This is my understanding, at least.

Buff brahmas are actually buff columbian, the columbian gene restricts pigment everywhere except the hackles and tail, which is why he has the black tail feathers.

Thank you for the info.
The white is right there, hidden in the top tail feathers.

I believe the white is in the upper tail feathers. It might look like a glare from the photo.

Back
Top Bottom