Buff Brahma Roo or Pullet?

Buff Brahma a roo or pullet?

• Pullet

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Roo

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
I guess I've been in denial for quite some time now.
He's my favorite chicken too! Maybe I can bribe the neighbors with fresh eggs....I dont want to get rid of him :-(

Dear Amy Bell:
Please don't give up! I had a VERY similar experience with my first flock of babies. Just like yours only times 10! It is NOT your FAULT!
I too learned a tremendous amount of information. It's good, you will be able to use what you have learned later and to help others.

With our first time we started with 12 and lost half, the grower gave us another dozen. We eventually lost all of those but 4.

I tried again with chicks from a good hatchery and a breeder.
Completely different experience.
Totally different.
It was heaven!!!!

That first experience was in '09. I am still keeping chickens and lov'n it.
I even got to do 6 radio shows about raising backyard chickens.
Never would have guessed that would happen back at the beginning.

I hope you are doing much better
Blessings
Posey

Judging by feather growth is not always accurate. I've had 2 very slow feather growing pullets. Right now I'd say this looks like a pullet, just by my experience. If this chick grows a big comb and wattles in the couple weeks, I'd say a cockerel. Don't give up hope yet.

I was going to say, that's not a buff brahma, but I've never seen a buff laced brahma. I have buff brahma's and just bred some and that looks like a roo to me. It isn't a very obvious roo so there's still a bit of hope. They are slow developers, if it is a brahma, but you should be able to tell for sure by 7 weeks(although, yours does look very behind, even for a roo, so it may take longer). At that point the saddle feathers should start to come in if it's a roo they will start to arch downward.

I had a really bad experience with my shipped chicks my first time too. I lost half of them after two days...I filled in with some chicks from my local feed shop and they were very healthy. They get them in bigger numbers and from a local breeder. I decided from now on I will buy some that are at least a week old as it seems once they have made it that far they have a better chance. It is heart breaking to lose them!

Thanks very much for all of the feedback. It's nice to know there are people who can relate to what Im going through with losing baby chicks. Buying juvenile pullets has worked out great for me so far. Although Im still working on acclimating my younger group in with the older ones.

My brahma hasnt crowed yet... Im hanging on to "her" until the city comes knock'n at my door....
Here are pics I took yesterday, Is there anyone out there who thinks "she" may be a girl?

That's a rooster. Its hard when you favorite is the roo and you can't keep it (which seems to happen a lot). I sure you will be able to find a good home for him, that is a rare bird.

I have a 3 week old chick in the brooder whose mom was killed by a hawk. I set all the eggs from her I had (4) and 3 hatched, 2 died(1 was stepped on by a broody) and it looks like this one is a roo, as much as id like to keep him, I just don't have room for another roo. I also have a gold/blue EE and a blue barred OE that also look like roos, oh well, it gives me an excuse to hatch more right? ;) I try not to pick favorites until I know what's what.

Back
Top Bottom