• Roo

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

AmyBell

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Hi All!

I am a new chicken mama and this is my very first post.
big_smile.png

Im aching to know if my 5 1/2 wk old baby Brahma is a pullet or a roo.
My city does not allow roosters and I think that I already have two - almost 100% sure that my BCM is a roo because I'm able to compare him to his very feminine sister)

So what do you think?
thank you!

Thanks for your input!
I so hope that she is a pullet, although if not I will keep him as long as I can. (I have a friend who brings her roo into the house EVERY NIGHT! I dont think I can do this though because I like to sleep).
The gal I bought him from did say that she would take him back, and promised me a good home for him if he was a rooster.

This Brahma is a "cocky" little thing though. Always bossing the other chicks around and guarding the feeder. She is also the most vocal with her peeping.

I just love how all the chickens have their different personalities!

Please keep the feedback coming in!!!

He looks like a cockerel to me
hide.gif
. His comb is already pretty pink for 5.5 only weeks. Where did you get him from? He doesn't look like any recognized Brahma color to me.

He's supposed to be a Buff Laced Brahma. I bought him from a breeder here in Northern California.

Yeah, I thought that it was strange that his back and butt are pretty much just down...? My marans are the same age, all feathered out and just about ready to go out to the coop.

Wonder whats up with that? Do you think that she gave me a different mix of Brahma?
I did have a heartbreaking experience with the other three chicks that I got from her so honestly I wouldnt be too suprised...
sad.png

Yeah, I thought that it was strange that his back and butt are pretty much just down...? My marans are the same age, all feathered out and just about ready to go out to the coop.

Wonder whats up with that? Do you think that she gave me a different mix of Brahma?
I did have a heartbreaking experience with the other three chicks that I got from her so honestly I wouldnt be too suprised...
sad.png

No- he does look like a Buff LACED brahama, just not a buff brahama. So it's all good. I would say roo- the boys feather out slower, so that's why that is. What happened to your other chicks :(

No- he does look like a Buff LACED brahama, just not a buff brahama. So it's all good. I would say roo- the boys feather out slower, so that's why that is. What happened to your other chicks :(

Sorry if I sound cynical, its just I had a very rough go with the first chicks I bought.
This breeder seemed very professional and clean.
I bought two chicks and she threw in two more, but one of the chicks that she gave me was wobbly and had droopy wings. I didnt know any better and thought it was just because it was young. :( I have learned ALOT since then. I researched her symptoms and spent hours nursing this chick: I tried hard boiled egg yolks, pedialite, sav-a-chick, yogurt...
I finally tried Sulmet, but too late, even though a did everything I could...I ended up losing her and then the other two chicks within a week.

So all I had left was this little Brahma plus the two BCM's that I had got somewhere else, all of them were about 3 weeks old now.
The breeder was kind, & felt really bad and offered to replace the chicks I lost. She said that her next batch had beter vigor...So Im kicking myself now, but I went back. She said she had 3 week old chicks that I could add on to my current flock, but when I got there they sure didnt look like 3 weeks - they were really small!
But I brought home 4 more and set them up in a whole new brooder because they were just to tiny to add to the older chicks, plus I was worried about mixing. (See, im finally learning)

I guess Im a sucker for a baby chick, because I actually took another droopy one! ( I know, Im really dumb.) I even asked her.." is this Sussex ok?" she said "she should be fine.." Well that chick died the next night, and I found red feather mites on the other sussex, so I ended up having to dust all of my babies and thoroughly clean their brooders. Although the other two chicks died shortly after, of what I really never figured out. My backyard has turned into a regular chickie graveyard. It has been the worst experience ever. I dont know if Im mentally ready to ever try this out again, not to mention my poor kids.
I know its my fault for buying bad birds...Live and learn I suppose.

So after all of that Im most likely left with a flock of two roosters and ONE hen! I realize that wont work out too well, but I am so afraid of losing more chickens.
(Hope you're not too sorry you asked what happened to my chicks)
thx for listening :)

Back
Top Bottom