Buff Brahma sexing experiment

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
So according to this study, buff Brahma chicks are colour sexed right away. I just got my chicks in the post and think it would be a fun experiment to try sexing them! Would love to hear your guesses as well!

I’ll get individual pics in a minute, my 3 year old just got stung by a bee

F9FD993C-2926-4160-A8F8-294B37A8E503.png

This isn't the first time I've heard of this. In fact, not too long ago another thread popped up discussing it as it applies to other Buff and Red breeds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/color-sexing-buckeye-new-hampshire-buff-orpington.1524752/ There aren't many definitive answers that I've been able to find, but it seems like it's a trait that has to be selected for or it can become inaccurate over generations of not breeding for the trait. I'll definitely be interested in seeing how it goes with your chicks!

Sorry to hear about your kiddo, too! I hope they aren't ouchie for too long ❤️

Thanks all, she’s so far only mildly swollen and demanding her ice pack stays on. We have horrible allergies and my husband is severely anaphylactic 😬

Victim #1 is ready for your critique!
70FA0A0A-D955-4C48-976B-27C18BB57734.jpeg
F833DB2B-0192-4549-B699-553460A782D6.jpeg
F1877DD2-CC79-48A6-8F45-6FE93F66C295.jpeg

If I am understanding their description and pictures correctly, the ones you've posted so far are in the female range of coloration. The third one might be edging over to the male side for color... Are yours sexed at all or were they straight run? This is gonna be interesting to follow! :pop

If I am understanding their description and pictures correctly, the ones you've posted so far are in the female range of coloration. The third one might be edging over to the male side for color... Are yours sexed at all or were they straight run? This is gonna be interesting to follow! :pop
That was my impression too! They are bantam and I’m not sure if that affects the presentation either. Straight run (but my sexed pullet luck has been horrible this year)

Back
Top Bottom