Buff Brahma X Buff Orpington - Unique chick!

I have pure bred Buffs, too, and 2 chicks from this year's hatch are mixed buff and cream. 2 others ended up with no feathers at all! The parents all look completely normal( except the rooster had 2 more bumps on his comb than the required 5).
Could you send me pictures of the strangely colored ones? I'm quite curious : )

To clarify: Buff orpington hens and rooster too?

Her offspring could help reveal her genetics.
I finally identified her babies! To recap, rooster was a barred cochin.

20211030_203956.jpg
20211030_203918.jpg

She is smaller than her half-siblings, also rounder and softer. I will try and get some more pictures so you can compare her, but they aren't very cooperative :p

That patch is actually over her gizzard, however I did find a little on her back that was more difficult to photograph. It was very difficult to see any of her skin, I will have to try again, maybe when she is molting 😂

I looked into sex-linked albino chickens as best I could, and it does look like what Freya is displaying :) I am curious though, Freya is a runt, is that common with albinism?

There is an interesting option raised @Northwest_Wannabe : the kippenjungle crossbreeding predictor indicated that cream dilutes might show up in the 3rd generation. So, that is there to consider as will. Still her runt factor though, and her neck and head coloring.

Definitely a complicated mystery, my little Freya <3
Sorry, very late reply, wasn't receiving notifications.

No, I don't think it's Sexlinked Albinism since that is a mutation in the silver gene. It's also called incomplete Albinism. Silver is dominant over gold, so she won't be Buff if is she had the gene. She'd be completely white, or white with some form of black leakage depending on genetics involved, of she were a Sex-linked albino.

Any updates?

Sorry, very late reply, wasn't receiving notifications.

No, I don't think it's Sexlinked Albinism since that is a mutation in the silver gene. It's also called incomplete Albinism. Silver is dominant over gold, so she won't be Buff if is she had the gene. She'd be completely white, or white with some form of black leakage depending on genetics involved, of she were a Sex-linked albino.

Any updates?
Yes! I actually chicken napped her, and one of her daughters for pictures, a few minutes ago.

Her are her recent pictures:
20220321_212440.jpg
20220321_212514.jpg
20220321_212427.jpg
20220321_212430.jpg

So, after Helios, we ended up with a barred cochin rooster, and from him we got two hens that have Freya's body shape, smaller size and some gold tint to their neck and head. Here is the one I was able to get pictures of:

20220321_212942.jpg

20220321_212933.jpg
20220321_212927.jpg

@MysteryChicken

Also, I nearly forgot. The woman who adopted Helios (Freya's father) sent me a picture of him:
2285.jpg

Not the best picture, but it is all I have, and sadly, he died before the picture was sent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom