Buff Brahmas at 10 weeks. Gender?

Diamantine

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Boise, ID
I have two Buff Brahma chicks 9-10 weeks old. They are different in color/pattern, tail structure and comb development. Are they different sexes or am I looking for too much of a uniform appearance in a pair of chicks at this age? Please let me know what you think of them! #1: Lighter in color pattern, shorter tail, less pronounced comb #2: Darker in pattern, longer tail, reddish pea comb developing Any ideas? Please include explanations of your opinions

Last edited:

Diamantine

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Boise, ID
What exactly makes you think so? I was just looking up combs on Brahmas and they are very similar to the second chick's, only on grown hens. Could she just be an early bloomer?

RockerHen

Songster
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Chappells, SC
The red comb, and the darker color patches appearing, especially on the shoulders, are indicators. A hen that is an 'early bloomer' may get a slightly larger comb than normal, but that kind of redness *usually* only appears on hens at sexual maturity. Cockerels start developing it at a younger age. Another indicator to watch for, which may show up later, I can't tell from the pics, are slender, shiny, pointed feathers growing in just in front of the tail and drooping down: saddle feathers. Only roosters get them.

Diamantine

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2013
Boise, ID
thank you for the replies. is there any reason the tail length would be an indicator or is that just a variety in genetics from one chick to another?

Top Bottom