Buff Colombian Orpington Bantam: Anyone working on a project?

HallFamilyFarm

APA ETL#195
14 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Monticello, Arkansas
Just wondering if anyone was working on a Buff Colombian Orpington Bantam project?

I started one in the early 1990's but had to stop due to returning to college. Would really like to hear anyone's thoughts on this project. Plan on restarting this fall. Have my foundation birds arriving this week! Am using Buff Orpington Bantam and Buff Colombian Wyandotte Bantams.

Quote:
Thus the reason I am curious. They have them in the UK. Would like to see anyone that has worked on a Buff Colombian project to post their thoughts on this thread. With what I can recall from my last effort, I want to use a wyandotte. Should I use a male BC Wyandotte on female buff orps or vise versa? Or should I have a male and female line and later cross the two lines? Any thoughts?

Quote:
Tried the colombian (light) wyandotte last time. Takes to long to get rid of the white. It also opens a can of worms in variation of colors. Have not seen any buff sussex bantam in the USA. Last time I had white legs/skin and single comb in the F1. Just had to deal with the white. Thats why I think going with Buff Colombian Wyandotte would speed things along. Genetics is not my strong point, though I did fair in biology in college. Looked at a chicken calculator, but had difficulty with the german and broken english. Is there a better calaculator available?

I would get some Bantam Buff Orpington pullets and cross them with a Large Fowl Buff Sussex Roo (a roo on the smaller side) from Greenfire Farms. The F1 offspring will be an in between size (not quite LF and not quite bantam) Then start selecting for color etc... based on the color description for plumage of the buff sussex and the physical, size description and skin color, eye color etc... for the Bantam Orpington. Fun project.

Quote:
Have you seen how big Greenfire Sussex are in person? They would probably think little bantam Orps are just little bugs and try to eat them, lol. And the poor little Orp hens would be smashed if a Big Sussex roo did try to breed her. Speckled Sussex are smaller and easier to get than Buff Sussex, and Speckeld Sussex are Red Columbian, so by the time you keep breeding back to the Buff Orps for smaller size, you should have picked up the Columbian base from the Sussex and diluted it to Buff Columbian by then.

Quote:
Have you seen how big Greenfire Sussex are in person? They would probably think little bantam Orps are just little bugs and try to eat them, lol. And the poor little Orp hens would be smashed if a Big Sussex roo did try to breed her. Speckled Sussex are smaller and easier to get than Buff Sussex, and Speckeld Sussex are Red Columbian, so by the time you keep breeding back to the Buff Orps for smaller size, you should have picked up the Columbian base from the Sussex and diluted it to Buff Columbian by then.

I have successfully mated LF roos to tiny bantam hens (some roos were 3 to 4 times the size of the bantam hens and they did just fine.) I had not thought of using a Speckled Sussex instead but that may work better. Now that you mention it I think Hinkjc crossed SS to BO and got birds that looked to be on their way to a buff columbian. I love this forum so many good ideas.

Please keep the thoughts and ideas coming.Also, is there anyone else that would like to join me in this project? If there were a larger gene pool we would have more to pull from.

Back
Top Bottom