Buff coloring

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OSUman, Dec 13, 2010.

1. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I was looking on theChicken Calculator today and I was wondering if all buff birds have a dun factor in them? There isnt a regular buff coloration in the options. If not is it possible that a buff bird could be showing only buff and covering up the dun factors?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Don't expect to find dun in buffs. You MIGHT, but do not expect it. Be sure to click the "About Buff" link on hte calculator.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've got a buff bird with khaki instead of dun. . . . [​IMG]

But, theoretically, dun is what covers up the black. If you look at a buff male, you'll notice his tail and hackles and a couple other feather shafts have the dun, sort of chocolatey coloring. (Although you're eyeing for the most uniform buff bird, this will often be what a normal buff looks like) Also, I've seen before that Buff Orpingtons pass on the 50% chance of the outcrossed offspring to have dun/chocolate patterned plumage, so yes, I'm pretty sure most buff birds have it.

I believe my Buff Ameraucanas do, and I'm about to find out for sure this spring.

If there are any uncertainties with buffs, it is the blacktail/ginger gene, in my opinion. I really don't know on that one.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:khaki is dun; two copies of it [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I know. Hence the [​IMG] smiley. Visually it does not look like dun, like splash versus blue, but it is still the same thing. . .

6. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Ok cool thanks i handnt seen the about buff link. I guess i wont be able to figure out what im trying to do without trying some breedings with real birds.

Thanks for your help

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Actually, they can be pretty similar, depending on other genes present.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by